10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2013 6:57 AM by darealflexxx RSS

Opening and saving files in PS CS6 (Mac) is brutally SLOW!!!

darealflexxx

I don't know what to do...

I have a new Mac (2x2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 12GB Ram, OS X 10.8.2) and the latest version of Photoshop (13.0.4) installed.

Besides the general slower behaviour sometimes, opening and saving files with 80+ layers is unacceptably slow!!!!

This is like going back 10 years compared to CS5.5

What could be the problem?

• 1. Re: Opening and saving files in PS CS6 (Mac) is brutally SLOW!!!
          c.pfaffenbichler Community Member

Besides the general slower behaviour sometimes, opening and saving files with 80+ layers is unacceptably slow!!!!

That statement seems pretty much irrelevant.

The number of Layers is hardly the deciding factor for file size, so maybe you could elaborate a bit more.

Do you save locally or across a network?

What are your File Handling Preferences?

• 2. Re: Opening and saving files in PS CS6 (Mac) is brutally SLOW!!!
            darealflexxx Community Member

Ok, you're right... files with only a few or more layers may not be relevant BUT compared to CS5.5 a file with a size of 180MB and even maybe like around 100 layers in different sets used to open within less than 30 seconds (on my old 4 year old Mac from before!) and now it takes up to 3 minutes or even more!!!!!

Saving files is the same horror. I don't know what the heck PS is doing

And yes, since CS5.5 I'm only working locally due to that file loss issue.

File handling? My prefs in PS are set quite identical to those in CS5.5, except I increased the RAM and cache a notch, due to my problems.

I'm using CS6 on that new Mac now for maybe like a week or so and I also noticed that PS varies in its performance particular while opening and saving files, but I can't get my head into it. I'm not new to CS or Mac since I'm working with it for more than 10 years and familiar with Adobe's CS since the very beginning...

Recently I also have the Activity Monitor open in the background to see wether PS or the system is slowing down anything but I can't really pin point any process, besides that Mountain Lion itself is generally different from Snow Leo in its behaviour and speed and often has weird CPU activity in the background. But never anything unusual while PS is in effect. Also I noticed that while opening or saving files extremly slow, PS only takes up to max. 15% CPU in the monitor. Since I never checked that in the past I don't have any reference values at hand.

I attached screen shots of my settings regarding file handling and performance.

Unfortunately those are in german, but maybe you can get a picture of it anyway...

Thx again!!!

Speed.png

File handling.png

• 3. Re: Opening and saving files in PS CS6 (Mac) is brutally SLOW!!!

One little thing is you could turn off »Kompatibilität von PSD- …« which should decrease file size a bit.

What do you need 500 History States for?

That might be something of a Performance brake under some conditions (especially when many files are open).

But basically I do not know what may cause the behaviour in particular.

Boilerplate-text:

Are Photoshop and OS fully updated?

As with all unexplainable Photoshop-problems you might try trashing the prefs (after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences you’ve changed) by keeping command-alt-shift pressed on starting the program or starting from a new user-account.

System Maintenance (repairing permissions, purging PRAM, running cron-scripts, cleaning caches, etc.) might also be beneficial, Onyx has been recommended for such tasks.

• 4. Re: Opening and saving files in PS CS6 (Mac) is brutally SLOW!!!

That 'compability to PSD...'-thing is turned off. The check box indicates the deactivation of it, sorry forgot to mention that earlier. Did that after reading about it today...

500 history stats hmm well I just go by what I'm used to form earlier versions. That was never ever a problem before.

And those open/save issues also appear with handling only one file. And I've seen and worked with much more complex files in the past.

And regarding your boilerplate question...  I don't blame you I know how it is sometimes, but everything is up to date!

I might have to go thru with your tips trashing the prefs. I did already some maintenance tasks, cause Mountain Lion was giving me a headache as well and was able to solve a certain performance lack in the OS.

I have to admit, I did migrate my data from the old Mac and I also carefully got rid of unused apps and prefs before doing so. BUT CS6 was a clean install on ML. I can't really imagine a migrating process could cause such an isolate issue with new software. Indesign, Illustrator... everything else works perfectly!

At the end of the day I will only be left with building up the system and all apps from scratch.

But I was trying to avoid that due to a lack of time plus it's not much fun.

THX for your input.

Maybe someone else will have another idea...

• 5. Re: Opening and saving files in PS CS6 (Mac) is brutally SLOW!!!

That 'compability to PSD...'-thing is turned off. The check box indicates the deactivation of it, sorry forgot to mention that earlier.

»Kompatibilitaet … maximieren« is set to »Immer« (Always).

Maybe someone else will have another idea...

Let’s hope so …

• 6. Re: Opening and saving files in PS CS6 (Mac) is brutally SLOW!!!

Ooops my bad.

Thought you meant the thing above 'Compress PSD and PSB...' – Read first, then ask

Ok I'll try to set that option to 'never' or 'ask', but I thought this option was helpful particuarly when placing a psd in Indesign...

Keep hope alive!

EDIT: Just tried that, but saving/opening takes about the same time. While I'm writing this, the file still opens in the background

• 7. Re: Opening and saving files in PS CS6 (Mac) is brutally SLOW!!!

but I thought this option was helpful particuarly when placing a psd in Indesign...

The option can indeed be useful but it also causes files to get (somewhat) bigger.

• 8. Re: Opening and saving files in PS CS6 (Mac) is brutally SLOW!!!
                        Chris Cox Adobe Employee

CS6 is normally faster than CS5 for most users.

So something is wrong with your setup.

Have you installed all the updates for Photoshop CS6 (you should be on 13.0.4 or 13.1.2)?

Have you tried disabling all third party plugins? (some font managers can really slow down file IO)

• 9. Re: Opening and saving files in PS CS6 (Mac) is brutally SLOW!!!

Well, that obviously doesn't make me one of 'most users'

Photoshop (and everything else on that Mac) is very much up to date.

I don't have any third party plugins in PS.

The thing is, I'm very pissed about Apple and Adobe. Or maybe it's Apple that doesn't provide a solid foundation for Adobe's products anymore...  since I have to work with Mountain Lion I've the feeling I'm back in the stone age!!!
                          The whole system's permanently doing something in the background and writing stuff onto the harddrive I don't know what the heck is going on. Even Activity Monitor doesn't give any hints. And upon that Photoshop is pulling everything down, once it is opening or saving a bigger file.

This can't be it.

I never had anything like that in the past 10 years besides maybe that Photoshop instability in CS3...

My timetables are so tight I can't afford to permanently wait for the system or software to be kind enough of finishing the process.

This is a brand new Mac with new installed CS6 I'm sitting at and I expect at least the same performance as before

• 10. Re: Opening and saving files in PS CS6 (Mac) is brutally SLOW!!!

Testing CS6 on my old Mac (OS X 10.6.8, only 32-Bit) everything including PS runs smoother and yet more importantly FASTER!

It was very pleasant to experience this again after more than a week under ML...

I'm on the edge going back to my old system and be better off, I suspect ML to be a main factor to this problem.

Thx for all advices anyway!