3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2013 9:07 AM by Peter Kahrel

Setting optical kerning outside of Paragraph Styles?

Mummzie Bird

Is there anywhere within InDesign (CS5) to set 'optical kerning' outside of Paragraph Styles? I'd like this to be my default.

thank you

• 1. Re: Setting optical kerning outside of Paragraph Styles?
          Peter Kahrel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Close all documents, set Optical Kerning (Type > Story), and exit InDesign. Optical kerning is now enabled by default. Restart InDesign.

• 2. Re: Setting optical kerning outside of Paragraph Styles?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm not sure that's what the OP means. Your directions are for Optical Margin Alignment rather than kerning.

You can certainly set optical kerning for Basic Paragraph, or for the default type, with no files open, but I don't know that that would make it the default in any new styles you add in a new document.

The bigger question, in my mind, is why you feel optical kerning is a better choice than the metrics designed for the font? The primary purpose is to give a better kern between pairs of mis-matched glyphs in different sizes or faces.

• 3. Re: Setting optical kerning outside of Paragraph Styles?
              Peter Kahrel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ah, yes, sorry, I didn't read carefully enough. You can set optical kerning in the Character panel with no documents open, after which all new paragraph styles default to optical kerning. But you're right that it's not a good choice in general. Poorly kerned fonts often get worse with optical kerning. Ehrhardt MT Pro Italic, for example, has downright kerning errors in it (such as characters kerned to clash), and much of the kerning is just terrible. Enabling optical kerning made it worse.

Peter