19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2013 11:45 AM by PixelshotWDC2

Measure total time of footage?

PixelshotWDC2 Level 1

Is it possible to calculate/measure the total length of all of the footage in a project? I have multiple hours of footage; hundreds of clips. I need to know the total amount of time. There are two workarounds that I know of: export to Final Cut Pro and use Media Manager to easily measure total time, or calculate the time by using the file size and a compression calculator. Neither of these are ideal.

• 1. Re: Measure total time of footage?
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Create a dummy sequence and drop all of your footage into it.  Pr will display the total time of the sequence.  You should make sure you don't mix frame rates, so you may need a sequence for each different frame rate.

Jeff

• 2. Re: Measure total time of footage?
            Taverino Level 2

In the Project Panel, select all of the desired clips. In the Info panel, you will see the total duration.

• 3. Re: Measure total time of footage?
              PixelshotWDC2 Level 1

if only I could select a bin and get that info.

• 4. Re: Measure total time of footage?
                Taverino Level 2

What is the difficulty in selecting all the clips in a bin? Open a bin in its own window and press CTRL+A to select all the clips.

• 5. Re: Measure total time of footage?
                  PixelshotWDC2 Level 1

@Taverino - thank you for your suggestion. But, I have a project that has 32 hours of footage (I measured it with Final Cut by selecting the parent folder). There are nearly 2000 clips spread through dozens of bins. It is quite time consuming to click each folder open. Sure, it can be done, but it can also be a feature that makes things simple to select a folder to "get info" as in Final Cut. Feature request time I guess.

@Jeff - Thanks. Yes, I posted the same question in the Prelude forum. You consider it double posting and (I presume) locked the forum. I understand the need for keeping things streamlined but they are actually two different problems which may have two different answers. Premiere has an "info" panel which for me is the best solution to this question. Prelude does not. The suggestion for Prelude was to put all of my clips onto a timeline. That's a fine suggestion for a project with a small amount of footage. But, I assume that 32 hours of footage will not fit onto one timeline. Therefore, I still do not have a reasonable way to measure in Prelude (aside from sending to Premiere to measure, which is fine) so my question for Prelude is not answered.

• 6. Re: Measure total time of footage?
                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

I assume that 32 hours of footage will not fit onto one timeline.

So split it between 2 or more timelines.  Do the math.  I would think that adding the total time for a few sequences is still a relatively pain-free solution.

Wes Plate addressed the way to do it in Prelude in your other topic.  Fortunately, locking a thread isn't permanent  -- it can always be unlocked if necessary.

Jeff

• 7. Re: Measure total time of footage?
                      shooternz Level 6

Pure curiosity.

Why do you want to know this info?

I would have thought that if you already know its 32 hours (-ish)...thats kind of enough to say...you have a LOT OF FOOTAGE and its time to bring in the assistant editor.

• 8. Re: Measure total time of footage?
                        PixelshotWDC2 Level 1

I have several projects in the pipeline and the 32 hour documentary is only one. So, I want to be able to measure them and of course for future projects. It is very useful informaiton to have for planning the amount of time it will take to log the footage and also to communicate (and justify) the amount of time involved to the client. It's so nice to be able to tell a client, "we have 12.5 hours of footage, so it will take about ___ hours/days to log it." It makes a lot more sense to tell a client that than how many GB of files we recorded.

• 9. Re: Measure total time of footage?
                          shooternz Level 6

I get it.

Did  something similar 2 days ago for same reason.

What I did though was noted the GB shot on each of the 3 cards  as I ingested them to hard drive.

Totalled them ...then asked my  AC to go estimate ( calculate)...running time approx.

Not sure what formula he used for 1080 / 50p per GB  ( @28mbps) but he gave the client and answer.

• 10. Re: Measure total time of footage?
                            PixelshotWDC2 Level 1

Yes, I thought about doing it that way, then figured there must be a way to do it easily in the NLE. The Info Panel is exactly what I was hoping for. Just a simple tweak (calculating by bin) would make it all I need.

• 11. Re: Measure total time of footage?
                              Taverino Level 2

I used to make copious use of bins, but found the hierarchical structure too limiting, especially for clips that span multiple categories. I punted and now just have a single bin for footage. I "tag" each clip using metadata fields (description, lognote, comment, etc.) with location, actors, angle, select rating, etc. It takes a little discipline to ensure consistent tags, but this approaches makes it very easy for me to do searches and sorts and selects when I have hundreds of diverse clips and subclips. It might be too late for your current project, but you might want to consider getting rid of bins in the future for a variety of reasons. For the way my brain works, which is decreasingly able to remember where I have squirelled things away, getting rid of bins has helped.

It would be nice if Adobe had a formal relational tagging system for the Project Manager.  

• 12. Re: Measure total time of footage?
                                PixelshotWDC2 Level 1

@Taverino - Good suggestion. I've been struggling with that now. In Final Cut, I am very used to organizing footage according to bins. Here in Premiere, I started to do the same but am running into some problems of finding things properly - the find feature doesn't work consistently. The catch of putting everything into one bin, besides the unwieldy amount of clips, is that there are times when I want to see thumbnails of only a few clips in a group. Say you want to pick a certain shot from a location. Do you use the search feature for that? Is it robust enough?

• 13. Re: Measure total time of footage?
                                  PixelshotWDC2 Level 1

Taverino - Would you mind sharing your logging technique - as in which fields you put which type of data. If you change clip names, use sub-clips, labels, "good" markers, etc. ?

• 14. Re: Measure total time of footage?
                                    Taverino Level 2

I'll work up a list of the fields I'm using in the current project and post later today if possible. I'll say for now that you don't have to worry about an unwieldy number of clips. For example, I use the Log Note field for location and time of day and angle (e.g., Kitchen Morning CU). If I search on any of these words, the Project Manager only displays the clips for that match.

• 15. Re: Measure total time of footage?
                                      PixelshotWDC2 Level 1

Thanks. An example would be great.

• 16. Re: Measure total time of footage?
                                        Taverino Level 2

Here is the general scheme I'm using on the current project:

Note: Depending on your keyboard shortcuts, you may have to change any special characters you use in your metadata.

Log Note:

Location (Kitchen, Bedroom, Automobile ...)

Time (Morning, Afternoon, Night ...)

Angle (Wide, Medium, Close-Up .....)

Comment:

List of Actors or Significant Objects (I use "$" before each item so that a search, say, for "Ed" does not turn up tons of clips with those same letters. Also helps denote where all the $ is going :-)

Description:

Free-form of anything I think I might want to search on later ("Green screen")

Tape name:

Rating. I use uppercase X (XXX for selects - not adult content!).

Name:

I change the clip or subclip Name to reflect the scene. For example: "Chase_scene..."

Job Ref:

Used for identifying clips qualifying for different film incentive tax credits

I admit it's a bit of a clunky system, but it's a lot better than bins for me.

• 17. Re: Measure total time of footage?
                                          PixelshotWDC2 Level 1

Thanks! Just for clarification, you put all of the Log Note, etc information in one field? Like so:

Log Note:   Kitchen morning CU

Comment: $Mary $Sally $John

Tape name: XX

Name: Chase_scene

• 18. Re: Measure total time of footage?
                                            Taverino Level 2

Almost:

I wouldn't use CU, because the search on CU will turn up any word in any field that contains those letters. I spell out "Close-up". Maybe there is a way to better qualify searches, but I haven't found out how to just get exact matches. Maybe someone reading here does.

The NAME when I import into the project is:

cameraID_sequence number (e.g., 813_7972).

So I would change it to: Chase_scene_813_7972. Then I can search and sort based on the name, but retain the reference to the original clip (even though PPro also retains this info and allows you to reveal it in Explorer/Finder).

• 19. Re: Measure total time of footage?
                                              PixelshotWDC2 Level 1

Thank you! Very helpful.