9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2013 8:21 AM by John T Smith

Can I upgrade my Windows PC to work with Premiere Pro CS6?

HD VID Dan

I have a Dell PC with a 500GB, 7200RPM hard drive, 3 GB of RAM, Windows Vista 32bit Home Premium, Radeon HD3650 256MB graphics card, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 processor @ 2.40Ghz. I know I would have to upgrade to Windows 7 64bit home premium and have at least 8GB of RAM. Would my current graphics card work with editing 1080p video? Would I be able to upgrade my graphics card after I upgrade to Windows 7 and at least 8GB of RAM?  I would really like to know If these upgrades would work for me. I would hate to spend all that money on Premiere Pro CS6 and have it not work on my computer.

• 1. Re: Can I upgrade my Windows PC to work with Premiere Pro CS6?
          SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

I think you would be disappointed with HD editing on that machine, after spending a bunch of money for a new copy of Windows, more RAM, and a new graphics card. It would still be clunky at best. I'd look at a Core i7 machine. While a workstation-type computer is preferred, I have seen Core i7 desktops with 8GB RAM for about $900 recently. Probably won't have Nvidia graphics for the GPU acceleration, but you can add a card that works for another $100-200. Plus a separate 7200rpm SATA drive for video - do not use C: drive for editing.

Jeff Pulera

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: Can I upgrade my Windows PC to work with Premiere Pro CS6?
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go to our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM5) results page and you will see the results database of (today) 1196 tests.

1. Click on "Version" and select CS6.
            2. Next select "Cores" and select 4 for your quad core.
            3. Now go across on the column headings to "Model CPU" and click twice.
            4. See the third entry down "Justice League" its rank (today) is 1132 out of 1196 systems.

This is the kind of performance that you would get with your Q6600 and 8 GB of Ram without an nVida CUDA card with at least 1 GB of video RAM.  You would not be happy at all trying to edit HD material.

• 4. Re: Can I upgrade my Windows PC to work with Premiere Pro CS6?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Jeff and Bill said it correctly. It is unwise to 'upgrade' anything on such an outdated system. Better go for a new system.  This graph may show what 'upgrading' your system will lead to:

Rating.png

The RED line is about the practical minimum where you want to be. Consider encoding to DVD taking around 10 times longer than a decent system, so instead of one hour it takes a whopping 10 hours, rendering a time-line that a decently fast system achieves in 5 seconds takes 211 seconds on such a system.

In other words, don't waste a penny on upgrading, get a new system.

• 5. Re: Can I upgrade my Windows PC to work with Premiere Pro CS6?
                RjL190365 Level 4

Technically, yes, CS6 would work on that PC (after the requisite OS upgrade). But economically, I second Jeff, Bill and Harm: It is now economically unfeasible to perform any upgrades whatsoever to that nearly-six-year-old PC (read: Don't throw good money after bad). Any upgrades - hardware or software - to that seriously outdated system would be a near total waste of money at this point. The residual monetary worth of that entire system (based on current depreciated values of its constituent parts) is now so low that any uprgades that might provide anywhere near worthwhile performance increase would cost more money than what the entire system put together is worth. (Or put it this way, you might end up spending tens of thousands of dollars to upgrade that old system, and still end up with performance that falls well below what we'd consider "still needs major hardware upgrades".) Your entire system put together is worth only about $125 combined (after depreciation), by my guess. In other words, it is at a point where buying an entire new $800 system with a quad-core i5 CPU and 8 to 16 GB of RAM would be a far better bet (and be far faster in performance) than spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars on upgrading that old system.

• 6. Re: Can I upgrade my Windows PC to work with Premiere Pro CS6?
                  HD VID Dan Level 1

Thanks everyone for the replies!  I will not spend a dime upgrading my old PC!  It would sure mean a lot less work upgrading by buying a new computer.  The main reason I am considering getting Premier Pro, is because I'm not happy with the results doing chroma key with Corel's VideoStudio Pro X3.  I have a nice green screen setup and want to get better editing results.  I am going to try to improve my results with what I have for now.

• 7. Re: Can I upgrade my Windows PC to work with Premiere Pro CS6?
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>buying a new computer

Visit http://www.adkvideoediting.com/ if you want to buy a computer that is customized for Premiere Pro

• 8. Re: Can I upgrade my Windows PC to work with Premiere Pro CS6?
                      HD VID Dan Level 1

Thanks for the link, John!  Money is a bit tight now so I just ordered a Dell XPS (X8500-3686BK) from Best Buy.  This rig has a Core i7, 8GB of Ram, a 2GB hard drive and a AMD Radeon HD 7570 graphics card which I plan to upgrade as soon as I get the computer.  I plan to buy an Nvidia, CUDA graphics card.  Not sure which one yet.  I'm willing to spend up to $150 for it. Due to the high cost of Premiere Pro, I'm going to hold off on that purchase for now and use my Corel VideoStudio for the time being.

• 9. Re: Can I upgrade my Windows PC to work with Premiere Pro CS6?
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For a PARTIAL comparison of nVidia cards http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/GPU.HTM

You also REALLY need a second hard drive... boot drive for Windows and all software, separate 7200rpm drive (never a partition !!!) for video projects and data

An EXAMPLE concerning trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
                        You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the

orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do

Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
                        Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct

the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with

your video file at the same time as all the other work
                        You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
                        A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another

very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing
                        You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708 for more on partitions) with Windows (or Mac OS)

and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is

not slowed down by trying to do everything
                        External eSata or USB3 are both fast enough for video editing... eSata is better -

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1117813