8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 10:54 AM by ClusterX

Arial Narrow Font Problem?

3449Tango

QUESTION:  Has anyone solved the Arial Narrow Font issue when upgrading Adobe InDesign? When opening a previous document that was created in InDesign CS3, newer versions will give a warning that "font is missing." Actually, Arial Narrow IS there but it is not in the main font list but rather as a sub-font of Arial... and InDesign cannot find it. Creating new problems are not a problem but opening old ones ARE a problem because you have to go into every document and replace Arial Narrow every time it is used. Must be a workaround but can't seem to find it. Please help!

• 2. Re: Arial Narrow Font Problem?
          3449Tango Level 1

Thanks, Steve. I'll give it a shot.

• 3. Re: Arial Narrow Font Problem?
            3449Tango Level 1

Maybe I'm reading these other posts incorrectly... but they seem to indicate that "you can find Arial Narrow UNDER Arial" in the font menu. Yes, I know that. But this doesn't help me when I open previous InDesign documents where the font was selected from the "main" list instead of from a "sub-menu" under Arial. Therefore, when you open the older document in a newer version, you will get a message "font is missing - Arial Narrow." Heck, I know how to select the font when making a new document from now on. My problem is accessing the previous documents and getting that message. In all of those cases, I need to go through the document and replace all incidences of the use of that font.

Also, a second question may or may not remain... If this can be fixed and Arial Narrow could once again show up as a separate font in the main list... along with Arial but not UNDER Arial... will it also have the "italit... bold... italic-bold" versions?

The first thing I did when all of this came up was to install a newer version of Microsoft Office (which I never use) and it made no difference. Before I get too far along on this, I just want to make sure someone else actually understands the problem. It's been danced around forever.

• 4. Re: Arial Narrow Font Problem?
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The newer version of the font installed with Office is probably the problem.

You need to find an older version of the font, learn to deal with this,

or, quite frankly, find a different font.

This one hasn't played nice with InDesign in a long, long time.

Bob

• 5. Re: Arial Narrow Font Problem?
                3449Tango Level 1

Not really helpful there, Bob. I only have about 6,000 documents, some of them 50 pages or more, that I need to access daily that will all open with this problem. The problem actually surfaced as soon as I changed from XP to Windows 7... same software, etc... and the "older" version of Microsoft loaded on it. Someone told me that the "new" version would solve it and it did not. Real easy to tell someone to "use another font" but hindsight really doesn't help here. I just need to be able to use my new computer without having to correct every file I open. "Learn to deal with this" was a bit out of order. Was asking for some help, ot criticism.

• 6. Re: Arial Narrow Font Problem?
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Find the old computer and copy the fonts. Install them on the new computer.

And it's not a matter of helpful, it's a matter of honesty.

That font has been trouble for years, I even wrote a couple of blog

posts on InDesign Secrets about it.

You could try posting in the scripting forum and see if anyone can write

you a script to do the replacements if you can't find the old versions.

Bob

• 7. Re: Arial Narrow Font Problem?
                    Ellis home Level 4

In all of those cases, I need to go through the document and replace all incidences of the use of that font.

This might help you to expedite the replacing of the fonts: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5104510#5104510

This font issue with ID seems to be tricky.

• 8. Re: Arial Narrow Font Problem?
                      ClusterX Level 1

I found a solution for myself. Regenerate in ttf by defalt all 4 arial narrow fonts with Fontlab Studio without any changes to fonts info or structure. Then install them into system (Windows/Fonts). Clean old arial narrows files before. Then do search for adobefnt*.lst on system disk. Delete those files (only .lst not .db or any other). Great! Works perfectly in all adobe apps! Shows all names in arial family submenue.