6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2006 12:25 PM by kglad

compiling problem.

okself
      problem w/ flash pro 8 - if I build my project normally, change a .as file, and build it normally again, the changes don't show up. similarly, if I build it in debug mode, change a .as file, then build it in debug again, the changes don't show up. to get changes to show, I have to build it in whichever mode (normally or debug) I -didn't- run it in last. So if i build it normally, change a .as file, build it in debug so that the changes show, then build it normally, the changes are visible in the normal build. so then if I change a .as file again, i'd have to build it in debug to get the changes to show.

What's going on?

thanks,
      Max
        • 1. Re: compiling problem.
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          what do you mean by "normally"?

if you change an .as file you won't see those changes in the swf until you publish the fla that includes that .as file.
          • 2. Re: compiling problem.
            AbsentBodied Level 1
            Are these class files?

If so, their compiled state (known as a .aso file) may be cached. To undo this, when publishing go to your 'Control' menu and select 'Delete ASO Files and Test Movie'.
            • 3. Re: compiling problem.
              okself Level 1
              quote:

Originally posted by: AbsentBodied
              Are these class files?

If so, their compiled state (known as a .aso file) may be cached. To undo this, when publishing go to your 'Control' menu and select 'Delete ASO Files and Test Movie'.

They are class and interface files. Deleting ASO files makes no difference, tried that already.

quote:

Originally posted by: kglad
              what do you mean by "normally"?

if you change an .as file you won't see those changes in the swf until you publish the fla that includes that .as file.

By normally, I mean via the "test movie" or "test project" command, as opposed to the "debug movie" command. The swf is rebuilt every time - if I make a change to some actionscript on the timeline or a movieclip, or if I change a graphic, that change is reflected even when changes to the .as files are not.

To head off another possible reason in advance, it has been suggested to me that classpaths may be causing the trouble. I have not modified the classpaths in any way from the default (I verified this by checking the default document and global classpaths online), and my entire project is stored in a single directory.
              • 4. Re: compiling problem.
                in the test environment, you should see the changes to your .as file AFTER you "save" your edited .as file.
                • 5. Re: compiling problem.
                  okself Level 1
                  Indeed I should, but I don't :p
                  • 6. Re: compiling problem.
                    create a sample fla and as file that display the problem and post a link.