5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2013 4:48 PM by Jim_Simon

Changing clip name behavior for duplicate clips

PixelshotWDC2 Level 1

Suppose I have one duplicate clip that I have copied into two bins, like so:

-- Sunday's clips bin

- clip_name_one

and

-- Flowers bin

- clip_name_one

If I change the name of one, I expect it to change the name of the other also, since it is the same clip, just placed in two different places (not two separate files).  Instead it only changes in one place, like so:

-- Sunday's clips bin

- clip_name_one

and

-- Flowers bin

- clip_name_one_tulip

Is this intentional behavior? I can't imagine how confusing this will be for logging when I make duplicates in multiple places for organizational purposes. I may even end up with the same clip with multiple names. The same is true for the metadata associated with the clip - if I add a comment in the comment field, it does not propogate. Markers, however, DO propogate to both, which is exactly as I would expect. Why not the metadata?

Is there a way around this (short of never duplicating clips)?

• 1. Re: Changing clip name behavior for duplicate clips
          shooternz Level 6

Why are you duplicating the clip?  You can use the same source file wherever , whenever and how often you wish.

Where / how are you duplicating the clip?  eg Copying original in Explorer then Pasting it elsewhere or are you duplicating in the Projerct Bn?

• 2. Re: Changing clip name behavior for duplicate clips
            JoshWeiss reTooled Level 2

I agree, Premiere Pro is a bit weird in what it does and doesn't carry across duplicate clips. For instance, you can interpret the frame rate for a duplicate different than the other version of it. But if you go to timecode and enter a changed start timecode it effects both instances. I get why you would want to sync both name and metadata, but I also see benefits to not syncing it. Either way, I agree the option should be there. There also should be an option like fcp7 has, to rename a clip based on file name, or rename a file name based on clip name (but there isn't).

That said, instead of creating duplicates of the clip in different organizational bins, you could create custom metadata columns. Therefore creating sort of a virtual bin.

You could do that by going to the top right of the project panel and clicking on the little down arrow. Then go to metadata display (while in list view). Then you can click on Add Property in the Premiere Pro Project Metadata area. Then you could do a custom property, decide whether you want integer, real, text or boolean. You'd probably want text. So you could choose text and name it Flower. Then you could hit ok. Go back to list view, and type in flower

Then in your project panel search box, type in flower and find all clips using it. A work around for sure, but may achieve what you want.

P.S. It would be much better if you could create a boolean field and just search by the word flower and everything checked would come up in the search. Unfortunately the search is a bit stupid when it comes to this. So if you search flower with a bloolean field, nothing will come up! You have to search true or false, and then ANY checked box will show. Quite dumb! Definite feature request!

• 3. Re: Changing clip name behavior for duplicate clips
              PixelshotWDC2 Level 1

@shootemz - I am duplicating in the project pane. The reason I would duplicate a clip is beacause there are times when a single clip might justify being in more than one place. I might have a group of clips organized by content, then the same clips also organized by date. Hence each clip might appear in two places in the project pane. If I'm watching a clip and make a note about its contents (e.g. "wilting flower"), I would also want that information to appear other places where that clip appears. Currently, it would not.

@reToolednet - thanks for the suggestions. I guess there is some value to having the ability to create different "versions" of a clip (24 fps, 30 fps, etc). I just wish there were an option - as in Lightroom - to create a "virtual copy" so that I would know that it will be treated as unique.

• 4. Re: Changing clip name behavior for duplicate clips
                JoshWeiss reTooled Level 2

I made a video on the metadata workflow I described as a work around:

http://www.retooled.net/?p=766

• 5. Re: Changing clip name behavior for duplicate clips
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Why not the metadata?

Imagine the mess if you wanted different metadata for each copy.