3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2013 7:01 PM by Cari Jansen

Static Caption Quick Key?

renaemp

Hi. I know that holding down the shift-key when placing an image will bring up the 'Show Import Options' menu... but is there a key to activate 'Create Static Captions' too (without manually checking the box)?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Static Caption Quick Key?
          Cari Jansen Adobe Community Professional

Not that I know of Reneamp. It'd be a nice feature request to ask for (e.g. have an option in the import options dialog for graphics).

However, you can assign a keyboard shortcut of your choice.

• Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts
          • From Product Area menu select Object Menu
          • In the Commands likst locate Captions:Generate Static Caption
          • In New Shortcut box type the preferred shortcut (just check that below the shortcut it says 'unassigned' as other wise you'll be removing another shortcut).
          • Click Assign, Click OK (and if prompted create new shortcut Set).

Cari

• 2. Re: Static Caption Quick Key?
            Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Cari's suggestion to create a keyboard shortcut is a good one.

But I must admit that I haven't explored the option to create static captions in the Place db. Now that I have it's much too cumbersome.

If you do check the option, the cursor is loaded with the image and the text as two separate frames. (As of course they are.)

But then if you drag to place the image, you have to drag again to place the text frame. This isn't suitable.

What would be better is a way to search out all the images in the document, or all the images selected in the Links panel, and apply the Create Static or Dynamic Captions to them. That would position them properly.

• 3. Re: Static Caption Quick Key?
              Cari Jansen Adobe Community Professional

@Sandee

I have to agree with you on it being cumbersome during import .

I personally would love to see it incorporated in the 'Import Options' dialog. Just like you can apply a Photoshop clipping path now, but I'd love to be able to select from a caption preset that's added to a template and an object style to apply to it . So I can have different options to select for instance for photo-credit or figure-caption. 

That would mean rethinking of the current Caption Setup ;-)  There's definitely room for improvement on this feature, but the engineering side of dynamically adding this at the same width/height as the graphic when the graphic hasn't yet been placed might be an issue.

Cari