5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2013 8:50 PM by thetasound

PR CS6 MPE Dissolves/Fades Still Broken

thetasound Level 1

I've been looking for any current solutions to this problem but the last thing I saw posted by an Adobe tech was in 2011 that "Dissolve issues with CUDA cards are beeing worked on." I just put together a system that allows MPE to work and although most of what I built the system for is doing what it should, dissolves and fades are not. I'm using the Creative Cloud version so it should have the latest updates. In video and in audio, linear fades are NOT the most natural or pleasing to the eye/ear; logrithmic fades ARE the best. If this is not going to be fixed in the MPE code, then provide a new type of dissolve that forces logrithmic curves and can be set as the default dissolve (Ctrl-D).

• 1. Re: PR CS6 MPE Dissolves/Fades Still Broken
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm curious about that comment by an Adobe tech.  To the best of my knowledge, there's nothing wrong with either transition using MPE.  You're likely seeing the result of Linear Light Processing, which is by design, not a bug.  I've heard nothing about Adobe planning to change that.

• 2. Re: PR CS6 MPE Dissolves/Fades Still Broken
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

2011? Was that not in version 5 or 5.5 something was wrong with the dissolve?

I have no issues with dissolves.

• 3. Re: PR CS6 MPE Dissolves/Fades Still Broken
              thetasound Level 1

Linear light processing apparently has broken the most basic of video editing tools: the fade/dissolve. Imagine losing about 20% of the area between 100% black and 80% black, along with 100% white and 80% white in photography? That would change smooth gradients into posterization. Same applies to video. I've already heard "workarounds" where you need to apply a GPU effect with a zero setting to every clip on the timeline; then the fades will look correct. I haven't tried this yet but it may be the last resort. When you take one step forward with MPE and two steps back with linear light processing which renders dissolves/fades that just don't cut it, would you call that progress?

• 4. Re: PR CS6 MPE Dissolves/Fades Still Broken
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Well..."not cutting it" is a very subjective assessment.  I use the Film fade without any complaints.

• 5. Re: PR CS6 MPE Dissolves/Fades Still Broken
                  thetasound Level 1

I tried Film Fade with titles from black/to black--not happening. Same jumps as outlined above. The only way I could get even close to what PR used to do (or does with MPE turned off) is a drastice S curve barely creeping up from the bottom for the first part of the fade up, then quckly changing to the upslope before rounding out very close to the top and sliding that last 2% until 100%. About 8 nodes to make that happen smoothly. Even if I saved that as a preset, it's still not as smooth as fades without MPE. What a drag...