6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2013 5:16 PM by Sandee Cohen

Javascript to hide the end of a video

Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

About two years ago Dave Merchant wrote in this forum:

You can deactivate a video (returning to the poster image) using Acrobat JavaScript, but can't make it happen automatically at the end of playback unless you use a custom videoplayer widget. The standard widget doesn't fire an event when playback ends.

I have a button that is set to hide certain fields on a page. I also want this button to hide the last frame of a video that may have been played on the page.

Show/Hide Fields won't do it.

Does anyone know the JavaScript that Dave mentioned.

• 1. Re: Javascript to hide the end of a video
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I haven't tried doing what you want, but here's a link to a custom player that he maintains that has an expanded API that may help: http://www.uvsar.com/projects/acrobat/videoplayerx/#api

Read the API documentation for more information.

• 2. Re: Javascript to hide the end of a video
            vectorbabe Level 1

That's using a grenade launcher to kill a fly. (That API document is over a thousand words long!)

And besides the widget uses the Flash player which is no longer supported by default for playing PDF files.

Please can anyone follow up on Dave Merchant's post and not send me off on a wild goose chase.

• 3. Re: Javascript to hide the end of a video

Any video you include will use an RMA, which will require Flash player, so I don't understand your objection to using it. If a user doesn't have the appropriate Flash player installed they will be prompted to download it.

And if you can't kill the fly with what you've got, you will need to use something else. VideoPlayerX is merely an enhanced video player, similar to the one installed with Acrobat but with some very helpful additions (e.g., looping). Dave will probably see this and provide more guidance.

• 4. Re: Javascript to hide the end of a video
                vectorbabe Level 1

George,

I'm sure you are a brilliant PDF developer and based on your MVP status you must help hundreds of people here each monh.

But you're really not focusing on the question I asked.

And as you originally said, you have no experience doing what I want. So you threw up a link to something that you weren't even sure would help me.

How do I say this politely? No way to do so. So here goes:

Please stop responding so I can focus on any replies from those who might know the solution.

• 5. Re: Javascript to hide the end of a video

"Shut u-up? Why certainly! You don't think I'm the type that would keep on blabbin'? Some people never know when to stop. When I'm told to shut up, I shut up..."

• 6. Re: Javascript to hide the end of a video
                    Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

George,

Two things:

(1) You need to read my post more carefully. Not only couldn't you respond correctly to my JavaScript question, but I never used the words "Shut up." I am not that rude as to tell someone to shut up.

(2) You really don't know when to quit.

So, once again I ask you to stop responding so I can concentrate on any answers that may come from those who do know what they're talking about.

You may not realize it, but some people subscribe to forums using email. All you're doing now is cluttering my phone with your bloviating.

Seriously. At this point you're not helpful nor funny.