11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2013 4:16 PM by Jim_Simon

NVidia GTX Titan

Nicol Simard Level 1

In a few months, I will be building a new computer and I am considering buying a GTX Titan. My main question is: will it work with PP CS6? And if not, does Adobe plan to support it?

• 1. Re: NVidia GTX Titan
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Those who know don't tell, those who tell don't know.

There is a policy that Adobe doesn't tell about future plans, including staff and beta testers, who are all under a NDA, so you will not hear anything worthwhile about it. But my guess, and it is nothing more than a guess, is that the Titan will work and will be around 30-40% faster than a GTX 680 at around double the price.

• 2. Re: NVidia GTX Titan
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I'd be surprised if it's that much faster.

• 3. Re: NVidia GTX Titan
              lasvideo Level 4

Time will tell. Since AE only access the GPU for ray tracing,  it could very well could match Harms prediction. Same for Blender which has recently added GPU rendering. Editors that do their craft with a variety of software will appreciate that. Heck. it will probably speed up Magic Bullet Looks nicely as well. When under the gun, every second counts.

• 4. Re: NVidia GTX Titan
                Harm Millaard Level 7

The reasoning behind my guess about performance is based on the following comparison:

SpecificationsGTX 680GTX Titan
                CUDA cores15362688
                Memory bus in bits256384
                Memory Bandwidth (GB/s)192.2 (203.1)*288.4
                Base Clock (MHz)1006 (1166)*837
                OpenGL4.24.3
                Graphics Card Power (W)195250

* The figures between () are my own overclocked settings.

While the number of cores has increased significantly, the most telling difference is the memory bandwidth, which increased by around 50% and since this is a single GPU card, in contrast to the GTX 690, this may be the factor to have the most impact on performance. There is one aspect to take into consideration however and that is the very weak threading use of CUDA cores with Ray tracing. It is very disappointing to see how few CUDA cores are used during Ray tracing. Don't know whether that is a driver problem or a deficiency of the Adobe code, but until that is resolved, there can not be a linear performance boost from adding CUDA cores. Hence my guesstimate of 30 - 40%.

• 5. Re: NVidia GTX Titan
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since the 580 was the same memory bandwidth as the 680 and a tripling of cores and the we saw only marginal improvement on Premiere Pro's MPE acceleration I am guessing that it will be much less than your 30 to 40 %

• 6. Re: NVidia GTX Titan
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

The point is that the memory bandwidth of the 680 was almost equal to the 580, both around 192 GB/s, so that accounts for the marginal performance difference between these two cards, but now there is a sizable bandwidth difference between the 580/680 and the Titan and that is the reason I expect it to be noticeably faster, not because of the number of cores, but due to the memory bandwidth. We always see in all of our testing that the GPU load is pretty low. The CUDA cores can easily handle whatever is thrown at them, but the bottleneck is the speed with which results are transferred from and to the main memory, thus memory bandwidth.

• 7. Re: NVidia GTX Titan
                      Cédric Péquin Level 1

Hi,

is anybody realise that card spec is... 4K 4096x2160 on a single screen, tell me if I'm wrong !

First time ever with a Geforce GTX and for less than 1000$.

I don't know about the color depth yet, but this is big time for digital cinema editing.

Since the 4k screen are very soon affordable. A new step toward this resolution standard.

• 8. Re: NVidia GTX Titan
                        ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

HDMI 1.4 supports that resolution so all of the 600 series cards support that res.

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: NVidia GTX Titan
                          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Harm Millaard wrote:

We always see in all of our testing that the GPU load is pretty low.

GPU-Z-MPEG.jpg

Not really so low usage. .

And here is the proof positive that Harm is correct in that memory bandwidth is beneficial for GPU processing. 

I just ran my GTX 680 from its standard clock (see above) 1502.3 MHz to 1755.0 MHz and ran the same test.  In the test above at the standard clock for my GTX 680 a series of six readings of the encoding time I got readings of 34-35 seconds.  With the overclocked speed I got five readings of 32-33 seconds, about 3 seconds difference with the GPU memory clock increased ~17%

GPU-Z-MPEG-MemClk.jpg

P.S. My investigation of this all started out to prove Harm was wrong based on some of my earlier testing.  It all goes to show that you are never to old to learn something new.  Guess I will have to redo a bunch of my benchmarks in the PPBM5 database after I find out just how far I can push the GTX 680 memory clock

• 10. Re: NVidia GTX Titan
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

after I find out just how far I can push the GTX 680 memory clock

And when you find out, you may need a Titan to replace your blown-out card...

• 11. Re: NVidia GTX Titan
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

it will probably speed up Magic Bullet Looks nicely as well.

Not that might make it worth the price.