2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2013 9:38 AM by Joel Cherney

Indesign Font Issue

eGalley Team

I have applied minion pro regular font in 3B2, Indesign & Latex for apostrophe between characters and found that character space is very less in Indesign when compared with 3B2 and Latex. Any help on this is much appreciated

• 1. Re: Indesign Font Issue
          Cari Jansen Adobe Community Professional

3B2 and Latex render text differently from InDesign and that will result in typographical differences, even when you apply same font-size, column width settings etc. Also InDesign has very good OpenType font support, including fonts with extended Glyph sets.

I honestly think the difference you are seeing is not a font issue. It is just that InDesign renders things differently and might not be a fair comparison with 3B2 and Latex.

If you are trying to reproduce existing 3B2 / Latex documents in InDesign, you can expect some text reflow etc. as well, because InDesign's default way of composing text is by using the 'Adobe Paragraph Composer' which performs an overall composition on a paragraph. For example if you edit some text in line 4, you'd likely see a change in line endings in earlier lines as well, as InDesign would recalculate the composition. My guess is that both 3B2 and Latex work with a single line composition, calculating justification/hyphenation values on a line-by-line bases.

I know this isn't an answer to your question, but I'm hoping it clarifies the differences a bit.

Cari

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Indesign Font Issue
            Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have applied minion pro regular font in 3B2, Indesign & Latex for apostrophe between characters and found that character space is very less in Indesign when compared with 3B2 and Latex. Any help on this is much appreciated

Cari is 100% correct about differences between the habits of LaTeX and InDesign when rendering fonts and composing text. But TBQH I wonder if you don't have Optical Kerning applied to your Minion Pro text in InDesign. Like it says on the tin, it deviates from the font metrics and tries to improve kerning based on appearance.

1 person found this helpful