8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2013 3:50 PM by Jta0033

Crashing doc loses content despite saving

Jta0033

I'm using Indesign 5.5 coupled with InCopy6. Right around the time I've completed a newspaper and before I'm completely done, the program crashes. This isn't too much of a problem, except in two instances now where complete pages have suddenly come up blank in my document. Indesign and InCopy both say all the link are still on the page, but they are blank. Nothing to select can be found. The only ting I was able to do is delete the pages and open a separate copy I randomly save in other places for safety's sake to reassemble said pages. This has caused problems as the spare copy I save elsewhere is never as updated as the version I just lost.

Also, Indesign will randomly say I'm printing blank pages when they are clearly not blank.

Need help, any ideas.

• 1. Re: Crashing doc loses content despite saving
          PrintFusion45 Employee Moderator

Can you please post a screenshot of the error. Does InDesign crash/Freeze after throwing the error? How many pages are there in the document in question?

• 2. Re: Crashing doc loses content despite saving
            Jta0033 Level 1

It's completely random except that it happens on deadline. There is no error code thrown. After the crash, it just comes in blank when Indesign boots up. It's very strange. I've been using Indesign since 1.0 and have never had this happen before. Now it has happened to me twice and destroyed three pages. The only difference between now and the rest of my experience is that I'm using Incopy. We just started using it and it's awesome, but I do get a strange errors from InCopy every now and then saying a story is "Not well formed." This is an inconvenience, as I have to have another user open the doc and resave with a new name, which shouldn't work. Ho can they open the incopy document and I can't?

Edit: and no I have no screenshot, and I cannot seem to force it to happen.

• 3. Re: Crashing doc loses content despite saving

Not well formed error was logged as a bug and there is a workaround to this problem in a different post in the Forums. See forum link: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/445440 .

For the InDesign crash issue if you're getting the issue on same pages every time you try to save, I would recommend you epxort the document to IDML first and then try working with the IDML and see if you get the same issues. Copy the contents of the pages that show as blank to a new document and work with it to see if you face crash. Try to separate the spreads from the original document and see if you still get InDesign to crash.

Save the crash data to a text file and use Pastebin.com to paste the raw data and post the link of the Pastebin here.

Jta0033 wrote:

It's completely random except that it happens on deadline. There is no error code thrown. After the crash, it just comes in blank when Indesign boots up. It's very strange. I've been using Indesign since 1.0 and have never had this happen before. Now it has happened to me twice and destroyed three pages. The only difference between now and the rest of my experience is that I'm using Incopy. We just started using it and it's awesome, but I do get a strange errors from InCopy every now and then saying a story is "Not well formed." This is an inconvenience, as I have to have another user open the doc and resave with a new name, which shouldn't work. Ho can they open the incopy document and I can't?

• 4. Re: Crashing doc loses content despite saving
                Jta0033 Level 1

Next time this happens I will do that. However, This has not been on the same pages. I start new documents from templates for each issue. The first time this happened it took my page one from my weekend edition, and the second time it took pages two and three from my midweek special section. Both start from completely different templates.

• 5. Re: Crashing doc loses content despite saving

Are you using any predesigned templates whose author is someone else. If so, then there are high possibilities that those templates are corrupt in some way or the other if they've been designed using any 3rd party plug-in or fonts. I can tell further after looking into one of your latest Adobe InDesign crash data.

• 6. Re: Crashing doc loses content despite saving
                    Jta0033 Level 1

No the templates are all inhouse. I'll post crash data when this happens again. thanks for your help thus far.

• 7. Re: Crashing doc loses content despite saving
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It may not mean anything, but we've seen other users reporting problems trying to use ID and Incopy versions that are not the same.

• 8. Re: Crashing doc loses content despite saving
                        Jta0033 Level 1

Ok so I just had a crash and I'm on deadline. Fortunately nothing disapeared on me this time but here is a link to the crash report that I copied.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uKOYx0KnfkjCYoBSmFwELS1a5lCmHmGcS5ueVtnyaxM/edit?usp=s haring