13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2015 1:48 PM by hsklen RSS

Issues using Adobe Reader XI and Livescribe Pencast PDFs

vxxbush Community Member

I'm having a problem trying to use Pencast PDFs created with the Livescribe Desktop software (version 2.8.3) in Adobe Reader software running on Windows 7 (32-bit).

If I use Reader X 10.1.4, I can open the PDF and read it just fine, but I do get a dialog box called "Reading Untagged Document" first that says the following:

This 1-page document is untagged and must be prepared for reading. While the document is being analyzed, your assistive technology will not be able to interact with this application.

Reading Order Options

Reading Order: Infer reading order from document (recommended)

Reading Mode Options

( ) Read the currently visible pages only

(*) Read the entire document

[ ] Always use the settings from the Reading Preferences (Do not show this dialog again)

[Start] [Cancel]

If I click Start, the document can then be played and video and audio work fine. No problems.

However, if I upgrade to 10.1.6 or try to use Reader XI, the file starts to open but just when it appears that it is ready the program crashes and I get no indication as to why. In my tests, I am creating very small PDFs; maybe three lines of text that each take up less than half the width of the page and maybe 10 seconds of video, tops.

Does anyone have any clue as to what is causing this problem? I submitted a ticket to Livescribe about this, but they are putting the blame on Adobe.

• 2. Re: Issues using Adobe Reader XI and Livescribe Pencast PDFs
          vxxbush Community Member

Let me test this Monday morning and see if it works with Reader and Acrobat Pro. "Stay tuned!"

• 3. Re: Issues using Adobe Reader XI and Livescribe Pencast PDFs
            vxxbush Community Member

Okay, I tested the option that BrianatLivescribe posted above in his hyperlink. Specfically, I followed the steps under option 2 to turn off the tagging:

Disable the screen reader options in Adobe Acrobat:

1. Within Adobe Acrobat, go to "Edit > Preferences > Reading"

2. Locate the "Screen Reader Options" section.

3. In the 'Page vs Document' dropdown box choose "Only read the currently visible pages", and uncheck "Confirm before tagging documents".

Now while that got rid of the dialog box (which is no surprise), when I did this in Acrobat Pro X it made NO difference. The Pencast PDF still crashes Acrobat. So this isn't the cause of the crashing.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? This is going to prevent us from recommending Livescribe as a viable solution for professors who need to demonstrate higher-level mathematics in an online environment.

(While I realize I can convert the pencast into an online video, the options of either making the video viewable to everyone in the universe or only a select few is problematic. Some professors have hundreds of students in a class, and entering 100+ email addresses is gonig to be an issue. And some professors will prefer to have any video posted on their website or on their course page in the learning-management system.)

• 4. Re: Issues using Adobe Reader XI and Livescribe Pencast PDFs
              BrianatLivescribe Community Member

Hi vxxbush,

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Flash Player in case the player got corrupted?   After uninstalling it you can get the latest version from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

• 5. Re: Issues using Adobe Reader XI and Livescribe Pencast PDFs
                vxxbush Community Member

Brian,

I'm going to write up an rather extensive note here of my testing and what I've learned. I am going to assume that you know all this, but this is really more for myself and others who want to understand what is going on--or at least, what I understand so far.

First, I uninstalled Flash on my machine (in this case, we have both Flash for Firefox and the ActiveX plugin for IE installed--so both were uninstalled). Imagine my surprise, then, when I was able to still play the pencast in Reader 10.1.4! Some Googling led me to this page, where the Acrobat Ninja helpfully explained that Flash used to be embedded in Acrobat products but this was no longer the case starting with 10.1.5. As my Reader version is 10.1.4, this confirms what I found in testing.

Acrobat Ninja also noted that you cannot use the ActiveX version of Flash to make things work in Acrobat or Reader; you have to have the full version, and he gave a link to: http://www.adobe.com/go/acrobat_flashdownload_installer_win to download the proper version of the software.

So I installed that, and tried again, this time assuming that the Flash I just installed and downloaded would be used by Acrobat Pro, which is at 10.1.6 and therefore has no Flash embedded but must depend on the Flash product I just installed.

Alas, no go. Acrobat Pro still crashes. And the frustrating thing is that I cannot download a slightly earlier version of Flash to see if that would work. The Flash I downloaded today is at version 11.6.602.171. I would like to have the option to test something like a 10.5, but Adobe doesn't seem to give me the option to download that and see if it fixes my problem.

I hope you have more suggestions. I could potentially go through the suggestions here, but Flash works successfully in the Firefox browser, so I'm hard pressed to think that it could be affected by hardware acceleration or cache issues. And a quick perusal of the preferences in Acrobat Pro give me no hints as to which tab affects the settings for using Flash.

• 6. Re: Issues using Adobe Reader XI and Livescribe Pencast PDFs
                  BrianatLivescribe Community Member

Hi vxxbush,

It was an excellent post.  Thank you for the details.  Unfortunately I don't have any other ideas for you to try other than posting your questions to Acrobat Ninja since that is a recent thread.  In case it helps, Acrobat Ninja can download and save to desktop an example of one of the four Pencast PDFs from the bottom of this page - http://www.livescribe.com/en-us/pencasts/.  You could also try an online Chat with Adobe Support (since there doesn't seem to be an email address to write to and phone support is a 30-to-40 minute wait). 

Running stand-alone Reader doesn't seem to be an issue or we would be hearing from every customer trying to use Pencast PDFs for sharing.  It just seems to be the combination of Reader with Pro (which install together) where there may be an issue.  Since it is probably much more common for your students to have the free Reader version rather than a paid Pro version of Acrobat, your professors should be able to post PDFs on their pages for the students to access without a problem. We have teachers in K-12 do this all the time for their students. 

If you do find a solution we will certainly post it in our Knowledge Base so that we can share it with any other customer running Pro that reports this.

Thanks vxxbush.

Brian

Livescribe Customer Support

• 7. Re: Issues using Adobe Reader XI and Livescribe Pencast PDFs
                    vxxbush Community Member

Running stand-alone Reader doesn't seem to be an issue or we would be hearing from every customer trying to use Pencast PDFs for sharing.  It just seems to be the combination of Reader with Pro (which install together) where there may be an issue.

No, you're right; not everyone is clamoring about this, so it seems to be a very local phenomena. I have another machine where I installed the latest Flash and Reader (pristine--no installs of anything) and everything worked fine. I'm wondering if there are registry keys that may be the problem here, as if Reader/Acrobat cannot find the proper Flash file to load in order to play the video. Your suggestion to glom on to the AcrobatNinja post is a good one. I'll try that. Thanks!

• 8. Re: Issues using Adobe Reader XI and Livescribe Pencast PDFs
                      Markus1301 Community Member

Hi,

ich have the same problem: When opening a livescribe pdf on my Win7 pro with Acrobat Reader XI, the reader crashes.

A normal pdf without sound or flash works. The problem came with some update of the reader. With Reader X I had no problems. The Reader XI can't read andy livescribe pencasts.

I uninstalled Flash and the Reader and installed the programs again: same result.

Here is the information from the Reader, when it crashes.

Problemsignatur:

Problemereignisname:    BEX

Anwendungsname:    AcroRd32.exe

Anwendungsversion:    11.0.2.0

Anwendungszeitstempel:    511eacd6

Fehlermodulname:    StackHash_0a9e

Fehlermodulversion:    0.0.0.0

Fehlermodulzeitstempel:    00000000

Ausnahmeoffset:    6f005300

Ausnahmecode:    c0000005

Ausnahmedaten:    00000008

Betriebsystemversion:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Gebietsschema-ID:    1031

Zusatzinformation 1:    0a9e

Zusatzinformation 2:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Zusatzinformation 3:    0a9e

Zusatzinformation 4:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I hope, you can help.

• 9. Re: Issues using Adobe Reader XI and Livescribe Pencast PDFs
                        vxxbush Community Member

Alas, I have no idea what is causing the crash. I never have found out how to fix the problem. I'm guessing it is an issue with a registry key that Acrobat uses to find Flash; perhaps the key isn't listing the correct location for Flash. But I have no clue, and I hate mucking around with the registry unless I know exactly what I'm doing.

I did try to post something on Acrobat Ninja's web site, but I never heard anything back.

• 10. Re: Issues using Adobe Reader XI and Livescribe Pencast PDFs
                          vxxbush Community Member

I thought I would post an update regarding this: it was something that I discovered accidently. This time, I was working on a Windows 7 64-bit system.

• If the pen was plugged into the computer, Adobe Acrobat Pro XI would crash when trying to play the pencast PDF.
                          • If I tried to play a pencast after I had used Livescribe Connect, Acrobat would crash.
                          • If I unplugged the pen, rebooted, and tried to play the pencast immediately after logging in, Acrobat would play the pencast just fine.

All I can assume is that Livescribe Connect is "accessing" Flash in the same way that Acrobat is, and Connect isn't disassociating itself from Flash. I'm not sure if there is a way around that, but that's the latest result of my testing.

• 11. Re: Issues using Adobe Reader XI and Livescribe Pencast PDFs
                            whg Community Member

I had exactly the same problem described here, and tried all the suggestions. Unfortunately none of them worked.

I finally fixed the problem by uninstalling Acrobat XI and "downgrading" to Acrobat 10.1

• 12. Re: Issues using Adobe Reader XI and Livescribe Pencast PDFs
                              hsklen Community Member

I just had the same problem opening a pencast.  I click on the file to open it in Reader, it comes up for a split second then closes the program.  I did not have this problem a couple months ago.  I am using Adobe Reader 11.0.10 and I just reinstalled Flash to the newest version.  I need my students to be able to read and listen to these files.  I did the settings suggestions in the reading screen.  I have not previously had these problems nor have my students.

• 13. Re: Issues using Adobe Reader XI and Livescribe Pencast PDFs
                                hsklen Community Member

I tried on another computer in the house (running Windows 7 instead of 8) and with the same version of Reader the file works.  Let's hoping my student's computers work with these.