9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2013 5:27 PM by joebif RSS

Renaming a PDF file.

joebif

In Adobe Reader X...when I rename a pdf file that is on my desktop, and upload it to a report it appears on the report with the previous name.  I want it to appear as I have renamed it.  Please help!

• 1. Re: Renaming a PDF file.
          Bernd Alheit MVP

Can you explain "upload it to a report" ?

• 2. Re: Renaming a PDF file.
            joebif Community Member

Yes thank you......It is a real estate 4 page document that I need and have uploaded into my real estate listing, and that I have scanned from the file option to save on my desktop in pdf file. I then rename it by removing the last 5 zeros and pdf from the name I have previously  chosen in the printer Control Center 3. When I rename the file on my desk top it looks OK,  Then I go into the MLS real estate website and upload it after I locate it on my desktop.  It uploads fine and shows the filename at the left of the doc which is OK except the 5 zeros and pdf are there again.   I named the file ...12 Gardenville-pcd pdf.  and want it to appear that way after uploading, but it apears as 12 Gardenville-pcd pdf 00000 pdf. the way it came from the printer to desktop and before I renamed it.

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner  Also yesterday a gentleman from Adobe Paid tech support (though I didn't have to pay) was able to take care of this problem, and I was able to successfully upload  a renamed doc, but when after I tried  to accomplish it on my own I was not able to succeed in doing so.

Thanks,

Joebif.

• 3. Re: Renaming a PDF file.
              Bernd Alheit MVP

This doesn't look like a problem of Adobe Reader.

• 4. Re: Renaming a PDF file.
                joebif Community Member

Here's more info... after I rename the pdf file on my desktop in Adobe I get this message "if you change the file name extension the file might become unusable. Are you sure you want to change it, yes or no?  When I click yes the file becomes unusable, when I click no it goes back to the name before.  Also I have no problem uploading the file in its previous name.  The problem occurs when  I rename it.  My OS is Win 7 on my Desktop, and laptop.

Thanks,

JoeB

• 5. Re: Renaming a PDF file.
                  pwillener ACP/MVPs

Why do you change the file extension?  The extension should always remain .pdf

• 6. Re: Renaming a PDF file.
                    joebif Community Member

Interesting... let me check on that.  I'm not sure that I have. 

Thanks, Pat

• 7. Re: Renaming a PDF file.
                      joebif Community Member

Well everyone, and this time Pat Willener in particular I profoundly thank you.  I can't tell how I have tried to resolve my rename problem on my own to no avail.  And a simple but not so simple yet adequate response and answer from you Pat, made my day. I needed that..  And yes I was inadvertently altering the extension not knowing what I was doing.

God Bless,

Joe B

• 8. Re: Renaming a PDF file.
                        pwillener ACP/MVPs

Windows Explorer has some strange default setting: 'Hide extensions for known file types' is checked by default.  This may have been the cause of your trouble when not seeing the '.pdf' extension.

This is always one of the first things that I turn off after a new Windows install.

• 9. Re: Renaming a PDF file.
                          joebif Community Member

Thanks Pat,  that's good to know. 

Joe B