7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2015 5:26 PM by 3lliot RSS

White turns to gray after export

distriller Community Member

There were some questions about this same issue, but I did not find an answer. I have two simple layers. A simple video (.mov) with a white background. Then I have another layer on top of that, a white box graphic. If I export that, everything is fine. QuickTime Player and VLC plays both whites quite gray, other players play them white. But fine so far. However, when I use Fast Color Corrector for the bottom video layer to make it just a bit more white (overexposuring it evenly), horrible thing happens.

Now after export QuickTime Player shows two totally different whites, the very white background and the box is very gray in comparison.

What do I do to fix this? Very strange. Could not find any gamut / color interpretation functions to fix this. There must be a solution?

• 1. Re: White turns to gray after export
          Steven L. Gotz Community Member

Not enough info.

Are you on a PC or a Mac?

If a PC, don't export to MOV. Use H.264.

• 2. Re: White turns to gray after export

PC. If I export to H.264 (.MP4), FLV or MPEG2, there is no gray-white problem. However, I need to export to MOV in this case. Is there any workaround for this? What is the explanation for the problem?

With the problematic MOV, these players play it without a problem (white is always white):

- Media Player Classic Home Cinema

- Windows Media Player

- iTunes internal player

These players display white in graphics as RGB 237-237-237 and white in video as 255-255-255:

- QuickTime Player

- VLC

• 3. Re: White turns to gray after export
              J. Simon Community Member

Seems like a QT problem.  You say you need it, but it may turn out you just can't use it.

• 4. Re: White turns to gray after export

I would like to understand how this is possible. How can the graphics contain same color as background in one player but different in another player? Surely there is just one layer on the video file, right?

I am producing my video for a studio with their specs and I should know what is going on in the video I send them. Thanks!

• 5. Re: White turns to gray after export
                  J. Simon Community Member

How can the graphics contain same color as background in one player but different in another player?

This is why you don't use software players for QC.  They can and do affect the signal.

• 6. Re: White turns to gray after export

I found out more about this. First the remedy:

If you are using Windows and an NVIDIA card, you may see weird gray instead of gray. And weird patterns within the gray may appear, also the difference between white and gray will be difficult to understand. Today, this happened to me on QuickTime, VLC, and "Media Player Classic - Home Cinema".

Go to NVIDIA Control Panel -> Video -> Adjust video color settings. There you have Dynamic range Limited. Change that to Full 0-255. The gray will change to white!

I still don't understand exactly how, as explained in my first example/question, the white #FFFFFF box could turn to gray while at the same time the filmed white background was still white (even when the limited NVIDIA setting). It is as if there can be some magical white with a hidden parameter which would override the NVIDIA Limited Dynamic range setting. To me both whites seem to be #FFFFFF but somehow the Limited Dynamic range setting reveals otherwise.

• 7. Re: White turns to gray after export
                      3lliot

Why on earth they would limit the dynamic range by default is beyond me. Thanks for that solution though, I've been wondering about that for ages.