4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2013 9:35 AM by thiskatkat

Manual IP entry is not working, cannot connect

Melissa_C.

I've successfully installed the Chrome plug-in on my MacBook Pro running 10.6.8.

Downloaded Edge Inspect apps for both iOS & Android

Running apps on all devices, on same wifi network, and all devices are seeing the WiFi network

However, it's not seeing laptop automatically, so I've manually entered the laptop IP number. Says "Connection unsuccessful, please try again."

I've checked to make sure my firewall software is turned off, which it is. What's the next step?

• 1. Re: Manual IP entry is not working, cannot connect
          Mark_Rausch Adobe Employee

Hi Melissa,

What does it say in the Edge Inspect Chrome extension dialog? Can you take a screenshot and post it here?

Can you verify that you have the latest version of all the components installed and running? Chrome Extension, device clients, and the Edge Inspect desktop application.

Thanks,

Mark

• 2. Re: Manual IP entry is not working, cannot connect
            thiskatkat

Hi Mark,

I seem to be having the same problem. I cannot see my computer (PC, Windows 7) from my iPhone. Also manual IP configuration doesn't work. While trying this I even turned off my antivirus protection for a while.

According to my network settings my computer is discoverable.

Both devices are on the same wifi network and I do have latest versions of all components.

Here is a screenshot of my Chrome extension dialog .

EdgeInspectProblem.gif

Could you please help me with this?

This tool looks very good and I think the company I work for could find it very useful.

Regrads,

Katerina

• 3. Re: Manual IP entry is not working, cannot connect
              Mark_Rausch Adobe Employee

Try the following. I know I'm repeating some of what you already said you did, but for clarity:

1. Make sure your computer and your device are on the same network
              2. Make sure port 7682 is available on your computer for use by Edge Inspect
              3. Make sure your network settings allow communication on port 7682. You'll likely need to talk to your IT department to determine that.
              4. Make sure you have all the latest pieces of Edge Inspect installed: iOS app, Chrome cxtension, and desktop application.
              5. Make sure the desktop application is running on your computer
              6. Turn off your firewall (temporarily. Once you've made the connection you can turn it back on and make sure to add an exception for Edge Inspect)

Once you do all that you should be able to connect by inputting the IP address shown at the top of the Chrome extension dialog.

• 4. Re: Manual IP entry is not working, cannot connect
                thiskatkat Level 1

Hello Mark,

thank you very much for your help.

The port 7682 is indeed closed.

I will talk to the IT dept to see if they can open it for me.