5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2013 10:31 PM by HugoM-01

Nested comp rendering one layer incorrectly

HugoM-01 Level 1

Well this is certainly an odd problem. I'm working on a brief photo montage bit in an After Effects project and I've placed the montage in one comp and placed that comp in a final comp for rendering. I made it all using a 3D camera with 3D positions. The first picture appears exactly as it is supposed to. The second picture appears too small, then the rest is fine. I have already tried placing it in a different comp and it didn't change anything. How can I circcumvent this issue? It seems very irregular.

• 1. Re: Nested comp rendering one layer incorrectly
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Layer styles? Collapse transformations? Check those things.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Nested comp rendering one layer incorrectly
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This question is impossible to answer with anything but a guess without knowing what the structure of your comp. Likely suspects would be some of the things that Mylenium has mentioned. There's something different about that layer.

If you can not figure out what is different the easiest fix would be to delete the second layer, duplicate the first one, adjust the timing and position of the first one so that it works like the second one, then replace the footage in the duplicate first layer with the footage originally in the first by selecting it, the new second layer, in Timeline then selecting the original second layer footage in the Project Panel and Alt/Option + Drag it to the timeline.

• 3. Re: Nested comp rendering one layer incorrectly
              HugoM-01 Level 1

I seem to have fixed it in my most recent revision but I zipped an old copy where the error was happening, if it's of any use.

http://ge.tt/3NqXOvZ

• 4. Re: Nested comp rendering one layer incorrectly
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you had posted this screenshot many contributors could have solved your problem instantly.

Screen Shot 2013-03-03 at 10.16.34 PM.png

Can you see the problem? Your comp view is set to track-cam and the camera in point is after the second shot. After Effects always renders the Active Camera. The Active Camera is the top camera in the timeline. In this case, the active camera is the default camera. Setting the 3D view always gives you the view from the camera selected. There's no bug here, it's standard behavior and it's been that way since AE got 3D layers.

Change this comp view to Active camera and you'll see exactly what you see in the render comp. Change the in-point of track-cam to frame 1 and you have solved your problem. This is a great example of why it's important to give us as much information about your project when you first ask the question and why screenshots are important.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Nested comp rendering one layer incorrectly
                  HugoM-01 Level 1

Ah, yes that makes sense now. I had changed that parameter earlier and I must have forgotten about it. It made no sense looking back but it makes sense now. Thanks.