3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2013 10:55 AM by Ned Murphy

Dynamic Input Boxes - Flash

Laura76

Hi - I am trying to take the information that a user inputs into a textbox on one frame in Flash and make it display in a dynamic text box on another frame.  I know i need to create a variable for this but have no idea where to go from there.  I am using Actionscript3/Flash CS5.5.  I am new to Flash and any help would be really appreciated.

• 1. Re: Dynamic Input Boxes - Flash
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Create a layer that extends for all of the frames that need to share the variable.  THen declare the variable in that layer... assign it an initial value if you prefer.

At whatever point you need to before leaving that frame, assign the variable the value of the textfield's text property.  At whatever frame the other textfield is, assign its text property to be equal to the variable.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dynamic Input Boxes - Flash
            Laura76 Level 1

Hi Thanks for your reply.  I still don't seem to be having much luck with

it.  I have created a new layer called dynamic which extends over all the

frames.  I have created the variable in there "var filmBooking:String;"

I have another layer called actions and in frame 6 of this (where the user

would input the information into the text box) where the code is:-

"nextButton.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_UP, moveOn);

function moveOn(event:MouseEvent):void {

gotoAndPlay('confirmation');

}

filmBooking = Adults.text;

Then in frame 7 (where I want the information from the textbox to be

displayed in a dynamic textbox called chosenFilm)  I have:-

chosenFilm = filmBooking;

I know I have probably done something totally wrong and stupid but this is

my first time with Flash and I have spent days trying to get it right.

Really appreciate any guidance

• 3. Re: Dynamic Input Boxes - Flash
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

iIf the function you show is where you make the move to the other frame, then inside there is where you want to assign the text value...

function moveOn(event:MouseEvent):void {

filmBooking = Adults.text;

gotoAndPlay('confirmation');

}

By assigning it outside the way you showed it is assigning whatever the value is when that frame is first encountered, which is likely nothing.  Assigning it does not make it keep track of the value, it just assigns the current value when the code executes.