4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2013 10:12 AM by hjespersen RSS

Problem exporting an artboard to TIFF

hjespersen Community Member

In Illustrator CS6 (16.2.0, 64 bit) I am exporting an artboard to grayscale TIFF and the resulting file is one point too large, leaving a transparent strip on one edge. Exporting this artboard to PNG works fine. I am not using Align to Pixel grid. Ideas?

• 1. Re: Problem exporting an artboard to TIFF

After I posted this the forum recommended some other postings to read (which  did not come up when I was searching),  and I found another interesting aspect of this. My artboard is 504 x 317 points,  which resulted in the TIFF being 504 x 318,  with the transparent strip on the bottom. When I changed the art board dimensions to be even (504 x 318), the problem went away. So I will live with this by having dimensions divisible by two, but it seems like a bug, since it affects TIFFs and not PNGs.

By the way, a related TIFF export bug in Illustrator is that compression does not work.  Photoshop can correctly create an LZW-compressed TIFF,  but Illustrator does not.

• 2. Re: Problem exporting an artboard to TIFF
            Mike Gondek2 MVP

Try checking use artboards.

Screen Shot 2013-03-04 at 1.29.56 PM.png

I don't use LZW much, but thanks my test .tif got much smaller after saving in photohsop.

• 3. Re: Problem exporting an artboard to TIFF

Thanks, but I already did that before posting my question.  As I have been experimenting more, I found that my simple solution in the first reply – using point sizes divisible by two – does not work in all cases.  My current workaround is to see what size Illustrator uses to save the TIFF and then use that exact size for my artboard.  Fortunately, I have some leeway in this case.

• 4. Re: Problem exporting an artboard to TIFF

I believe the problem I reported here about the transparent strip has been fixed in Illustrator 17.0.1. I tried about a dozen test files and have not seen the problem again. Thanks, Adobe.