SGCFILIP

Dear all,

I will buy this PC setup in a few days:

Asus P9x79 WS

Intel i7 3770k up to 3.9GHz

Asus GTX660 Ti

Kingston HyperX Beast 2400MHz 16GB of RAM

Samsung 840 Series SSD

Beside these components I'll form a Raid 0+1 storage (450MB/s read and 250MB/s write speeds).

I will use this machine for editing and exporting high resolution timelapse and short experimental films which will contain a lot of effects such as film grain, blurring, frame blending etc... File extensions which I'll use are .NEF (nikon raw files 24MP) or DNG (depends on playback and render speeds) and 1920x1080p H.264.

What can I expect from this machine? I am planning to upgrade to GTX  Titan by the end of the 2013.

I only have experience with fast Intel E5 Xeons (12 cores) and Nvidia Quadro 6000 card.

Thanks in advance

Best Regards

• 1. Re: Workstation for purchase
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go to the Benchmark http://ppbm5.com/ site and view the results to find out where your computer fits

• 2. Re: Workstation for purchase
            Harm Millaard Level 7

What can I expect from this machine?

It will not work!

Go for the Samsung 840 PRO instead. The Titan is way overkill for such a weak CPU, which does not fit on this motherboard anyway. You can't use a 1155  CPU on a 2011 LGA socket. Why go for 2400 memory? 1600 should be enough for you with that CPU, since it does not overclock very well. Rather go for 32 GB. Add to that the fact that most 'off-the-shelf' systems like Dell and HP are not overclockable at all.

Beside these components I'll form a Raid 0+1 storage (450MB/s read and 250MB/s write speeds).

With which FOUR drives do you think to accomplish that? You need FOUR drives, two for striping plus two for mirroring.

I only have experience with fast Intel E5 Xeons (12 cores) and Nvidia Quadro 6000 card.

Which E5 Xeons? There are no 12 core E5 CPU's. Maximum is 8 cores.

I think you better reconsider your choices. You will not find these components in any 'Workstation for purchase' since they are incompatible to start with and ill-balanced.