4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2013 3:51 PM by the_wine_snob

How to stop Elements 10 Organizer from crashing

Donald_Fraser2

Cannot use Elements 10 Organizer - always get the following message:

Elements 10 Organizer has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Clicking on more information produces a dialog: Error signature;
      AppName: photoshopelementsorganizer.exe AppVer: 10.0.0.0 ModName: mpcvideodec.ax ModVer: 1.3.1249.0 Offset: 0004960

• 1. Re: How to stop Elements 10 Organizer from crashing
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say what operating system you're using -- but this could be some sort of corruption.

I'd recommend that, to start with, you uninstall Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements (You won't lose any work in progress), then run Disk Cleanup  or, better, a program like EasyCleaner or Advanced System Care Free (which is easier to use and my personal favorite tune-up program) and then reinstall.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to stop Elements 10 Organizer from crashing
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Steve's comments/suggestions, this FAQ Entry has many tips on crashing/hanging: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/792580?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How to stop Elements 10 Organizer from crashing
              Donald_Fraser2 Level 1

Version info: Windows XP Pro SP3 (NT 5.1 build 2600)

I have installed the latest patches.

Further investigation shows that the Organizer application runs without crashing when running as administrator. I can conclude from this that there are no corrupt application binaries. When something runs as administrator but not as a dumb user this usually indicates a permissions type problem - but not always.

I then created a new user profile to eliminate the corrupt data profile theory. Even with a new user and new profile data it still crashed.

However with both the new user and my old existing user the Organizer app. actually loaded this time before crashing. And before the app crashed there were 2 system tray icons flickering madly and a message on the status bar saying “generating icons”. There are three items in the catalogue - yet only one has an icon from the actual video displayed. One of the items in the catalogue is a 4Gig MKV file containing MPEG2 video and AC3 audio data.

I believe, due the fact that I kept going back and running the Organizer app in administrator mode, that what ever it was trying to complete got completed because returning to my dumb user modes the Organizer app no longer crashes now and no longer displays on the status bar “generating icons”.

There is a clue in the crash report - mpcvideodec.ax , is this a codec installed by Adobe?
              A quick search of my hard drive reveals that this codec/filter is installed with the FormatFactory application.
              I therefore ask the question why doesn’t the Organizer app include exception handling when running dynamically loaded code that might not conform to the standards that you are expecting? This is the same as loading data off a hard drive, keyboard input, mouse input or any data input outside the control of the application. The boundary conditions are outside your control and you therefore MUST program to expect the unexpected. No amount of testing can prepare you for what users will throw at you!

I get annoyed when I have to debug other peoples software because there is no excuse for an application crashing non-gracefully unless it is one of the following:
              Memory corruption (hardware failure)
              Out of memory (mostly these can be caught gracefully)
              Infinite loops (application becomes non-responsive)
              Thread locking issue (application becomes non-responsive).
              All other exceptions can be caught and handled gracefully with adequate exception handling. There is no excuse to not have it - I’m a programmer and exception handling has been main stream since the mid 90’s (yes I’m old).
              Exception handling allows a program to recover gracefully or at least shut down gracefully with a nice message to the user, for example “Video codec mpcvideodec.ax has crashed while processing file: myvideo.mkv. This video cannot be catalogued”.
              Its school boy stuff really and I expect more from a big company like Adobe!

• 4. Re: How to stop Elements 10 Organizer from crashing
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Just a thought here: since PrE cannot handle MKV, if you hide that file, say by moving it to the Desktop, just for testing purposes (Adobe programs usually do not look in the System Desktop folder). Then try again.

That .AX file is a CODEC file, used by Organizer, and my guess is that it is crashing trying to analyze the MKV.

Good luck,

Hunt