2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2013 6:17 AM by wobblewoo

Linking contiguous copy into InDesign

wobblewoo Level 1

Hello.

I have a job that has say 10 different paragraphs of copy turning into a lot of variants. For instance:

Letter 1 has copy 1, 2 and 3

Letter 2 has copy 1, 2 and 4

Letter 3 had copy 1, 4 and 8

Is there a way to import copy into InDesign and if it is edited externally, autoupdate and flow on from each other?

I know that i can paste Word files and link them but, you cannot flow the paragraphs on from one another. Im playing with InCopy at the moment but this looks the same.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks for you time.

Warren.

• 1. Re: Linking contiguous copy into InDesign
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't know if it will work, but perhaps InCopy coupled with Conditional Text. The Conditional Text would allow you to mark paragraphs with conditions so you can have a single file that can be output for all three cases.

• 2. Re: Linking contiguous copy into InDesign
            wobblewoo Level 1

Thankyou Peter.

Ive never used Conditional Text.

A Google search, a YouTube video and about 20 mins later im proficient and this looks like a perfect solution.

Not so sure InCopy will work in tandem so i will experiment with that, but thankyou for the info.

Warren

PS Conditional Text does not seem to work with tables. It works fine with the data in a table but will not remove an unwanted row for instance. I will experiment there too.