15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2013 8:40 AM by alexdejesus

Shopping For A RAID Controller

alexdejesus Level 1

I have seen the Areca brand name on here many times, so I assume they are the best for what we do. But, there are so many models that I have no idea what to look for. I probably won't ever have more than 4 or 6 storage drives plus an SSD system drive. Maybe a couple of external drives and an NAS.

If I have Windows 7 64-bit

i7-2600k processor

ASUS P8P67 Pro motherboard

32 GB RAM 1600

GeForce GTX 580 Amp! from Zotac

AX850 PSU from Corsair

Every component is reasonably fast, bu I am sick of the senseless limitations of this mootherboard. My drives are aging so they need to be replaced.

Which specs are important for video editing? Which brand and models are most popular and shoould I wait for some new release?

Another thought - If a RAID controller is over $400 US, Is it more cost-effective to upgrade to a more capable motherboard/processor with all the ports I need?

• 1. Re: Shopping For A RAID Controller
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          What to look for
          BrandAreca or LSI
          Ports8 or more
          CardPCIe-3.0 8x
          Cache512 MB or more
          Multi-laneSFF-8087/8088
          ExamplesAreca ARC-1882 series or LSI MegaRAID 9285

Warning: You have to realize that on your motherboard adding a dedicated raid controller will entail that your video card will throttle down from PCIe-16x to PCIe-8x mode, resulting in a 10 - 15% performance penalty, due to limitations of the chipset. A dedicated raid controller, especially with around 6 disks always outperforms an on-board raid by a wide margin. To see some benchmark results, look here:  Reflections

To see what meets your requirements, also consider the raid level you want to use. If raid3 or raid30, then LSI is out. You can check out what controllers are popular here: Detailed Results but you have to be registered and logged in to access the page.

• 2. Re: Shopping For A RAID Controller
            alexdejesus Level 1

The limitations are endless on this blasted motherboard! Or is that an oxymoron? Why does something designed to speed up transfer rates have to slow down the video board?

I saw the Areca 1882i at Newegg, but it said PCIe.2.  So, rather than spend the money on a RAID board, would it make sense to upgrade to a new motherboard for about the same price?

• 3. Re: Shopping For A RAID Controller
              hpmoon Level 1

Harm is wrong again (in terms of practical advice).  Anyway, a related discussion here:  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1164437

• 4. Re: Shopping For A RAID Controller
                Harm Millaard Level 7

The problem with 1155 based mobo's has always been the limited PCIe lanes available, something I have warned about since the beginning. They are great motherboards and you will be able to achieve good results, UNLESS you want to add another PCIe-8x card or even a PCIe-4x card, then it bites you.

Have a look at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816151105 which should be the gen3 model. Ask specifically for gen3, but from the description with SATA 6G ports it should be by now. The model number should mention:

91-1882DI-IX30- etc. The IX30 designation means it is PCIe-3.0 capable.

@hpmoon: What don't you understand? The question Alex asked? The 'related discussion' is not a discussion IMO, but a statement that is irrelevant to Alex question. Care to explain where I'm wrong again?

• 5. Re: Shopping For A RAID Controller
                  Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

@hpmoon - you are welcome to disagree with another user but do not stray into personal insults.

• 6. Re: Shopping For A RAID Controller
                    alexdejesus Level 1

Dave no need for insults. Harm has helped me many times. Although I agree with your assessment of the motherboard engineering choices in your 'discussion'

Harm, I don't see a gen 3 version on Newegg. Who carries them? My guess is that Gen 3 will cost double what this one costs. Isn't there a motherboard that can support more than 2 SATA III ports - without crippling the rest of the computer?

• 7. Re: Shopping For A RAID Controller
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

It is some time ago, but I was in a similar quandary as you seem to be in now. Areca gen3 cards were coming out last september, but I had to call the supplier to make sure I got the gen3 card with the IX30 code on the box, otherwise I would return it and he made sure I got the correct version. Now, six months later, I think you will find ONLY gen3 cards so maybe my worries are overdone, but nevertheless, I would ask them explicitly that if the IX30 code is not on the box, you can return it.

• 8. Re: Shopping For A RAID Controller
                        alexdejesus Level 1

This is the only one I found that isn't gen 2.:  http://www.arecadirect.com/arc1882i.html

Dual Core RAID-on-Chip (ROC) 800 MHz processor• PCIe 3.0 x8 lane host interface• 1GB on-board DDR3-1333 SDRAM with ECC (ARC-1882LP/1882i/1882x)• One 240-pin DIMM socket for DDR3-1333 ECC single rank registered SDRAM module using x8 or x16 chip organization, upgrade from 1GB (default) to 4GB (ARC-1882ix-12/16/24)• Write-through or write-back cache support• Support up to 8 internal 6Gb/s SAS ports

Is this the only PCIe 3 on the market? And at that price, couldn't I find a new motherboard that would support my needs?

• 9. Re: Shopping For A RAID Controller
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

That is the one I think would be perfect in your configuration and it has the sizable benefit of upgradable cache to 4 GB, although with only 6 disks initially, 2 GB or even the standard 1 GB would probably be OK for you, but you have the option. I do suggest you also get the BBM, battery backup module so you are safeguarded from power failures.

Another motherboard would not help you much, since you would still need a dedicated raid controller. Well, it would help you with the limitations of the PCIe lanes, but the cost is serious and I don't think (might be the wrong assumption, sorry) you want that. It would entail a 2011 socket mobo, a new CPU, possibly different memory plus the raid controller.

With your mobo, you either have to accept that adding a dedicated raid controller will set you back in video card performance (whether that is important to you depends on your workflow) or you have to choose a new mobo, CPU, etc. and whether that expense is worth it, only you can decide.

• 10. Re: Shopping For A RAID Controller
                            alexdejesus Level 1

But I'm still faced with a degraded graphics board if I install this thing? Remember, I'm on a Sandy Bridge 1155 board.

Is there no motherboard in existence that can support more than two SATA 6 GBs ports?

Sorry, we're overlapping here. lol!

So, I have a choice between a new motherboard/processor and a dedicated RAID card on the current board, but not both.  May not be much of a difference in cost

• 11. Re: Shopping For A RAID Controller
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Most boards have 2 Intel based SATA 6G ports PLUS 2 Marvell based SATA 6G ports, but they can not be combined for a single raid array. You can consider using the remaining SATA 3G ports for an array.

• 12. Re: Shopping For A RAID Controller
                                alexdejesus Level 1

Yes, that's what I have had with poor performance IMHO

I had: Two SATA 6 GBs in RAID 0 on the 6 GBs ports

Two SATA 3 GBs in RAID 0 on the 3 GBs ports

SSD system drive on 3 GBs port

Today, I moved things around. And I'm starting to do speed tests. Reinstalled Windows, reset motherboard CLRTC. Split up the RAIDs.

I have two separate SATA III drives on the 6 GBs Intel ports

SSD on the Marvel port

Two SATA II drives and DVD on the SATA II ports

I plan to replace the SATA II drives tonight.

I have two 120 GB SSDs. I wish I could RAID 0 them for a system drive, but Marvel ports won't support it according to ASUS.

Now, if I pick up the Areca, i can keep the motherboard, but take a loss on video card, which I need for workflow. I'll be editing hvd, avchd, DNxHD and HDcam EX

Are we still waiting for the PPBM for CCS6?

• 13. Re: Shopping For A RAID Controller
                                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is what I posted in the other thread

The only way to get more RAIDable 6Gb/s ports is to either get yourself a RAID card which in the case of your Z77 MB is not practical (it will cause your GPU x16 slot to operate at x8) or get the Asrock Z77 Extreme11 MB which has an on-board LSI SAS 2308 controller which interfaces to a PCIe 3.0 bus via a PCIe extender PLX 8747 bridge chip

• 14. Re: Shopping For A RAID Controller
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Yes Alex, we are still waiting for PPBM6.

Bill and I are working on it, but due to a number of circumstances it is taking way longer than we expected. However, the basics of the new site are slowly  - like molasses in winter - progressing. I will not bother you with the details, but this next test will only use Direct Export, no more AME, it will be a lot more flexible to search for data you want to see, with significant additions to the Search options and will give more graphics on individual results, once I have figured out how to create these dynamically linked charts to the fabrik lists. One of the additions yesterday was this page http://ppbm7.com/index.php/results?showall=&start=5

It is only an example, but ultimately it should show dynamically the results on the record selected on this page: http://ppbm7.com/index.php/results?showall=&start=4

The Detail View is already working, so you can see all the details of a selected system by clicking on the link on this page.

• 15. Re: Shopping For A RAID Controller
                                      alexdejesus Level 1

Bill, how many 6 MBs ports are on the ASrock board?