6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2013 10:59 AM by Walt Kaesler RSS

PSE 9

Walt Kaesler

In PSE 9 I can't open photos in edit since I reinstalled PSE 9 on my computer.  My OS is windows 7. What did I do wrong, and how can I fix it?

• 1. Re: PSE 9
          andaleebfatima1 Adobe Employee

How are you opening these files in PSE Editor?

Thanks

Andaleeb

• 2. Re: PSE 9
            Walt Kaesler Community Member

I open the file in PSE organize, but when I select one to edit I get a message that the file is the wrong type of file.  Then when I close edit and go back to organize that file shows as a rectangle with a break line across it.  It has happened four times.  These are all files I have opened before in edit.  Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: PSE 9
              andaleebfatima1 Adobe Employee

Please ensure that the filename for these files doesn't have an extra dot or a charater disallowed by the base operating system you are working on. For e.g. broken thumbnail could be caused due to corrupt file or due to a filename say Image.2012.jpg.

Remove that extra dot or say replace it with an underscore and see if this works,

If the file is corrupt, try opening it in some other program and save again.

Thanks

Andaleeb

• 4. Re: PSE 9

I have checked the file names, all are correct.  I can open the files in Picasa, so I don’t believe the problem is in the files.  The problem started when I reinstalled PSE9 on my computer last week.  I think the problem is that PSE9 is not compatible with Windows 7, but I don’t know what adjustment or setting I need to change.  Before I reinstalled PSE9 it was working fine, but I had a printing problem that I thought was caused by a corruption in PSE9, I was wrong – it was in the printer.

Thanks,

Walt

• 5. Re: PSE 9
                  99jon CommunityMVP

Hi Walt

Go to the Editor (Full Edit) and try:

File >> Open As

Then navigate to your photo and choose Camera Raw from the file format list.

If the image opens up, choose 8bits/channel (not 16 bits) at the bottom click on the Open Image button to the right then re-save the file.

Click image to view

OpenAS.png

• 6. Re: PSE 9

Thanks for  your suggestion.  When I go through this procedure I get the message “Could not complete your request because of a program error”.  This problem started when I reinstalled PSE9, so I assume I need to make some adjustment to the default settings to make PSE9 compatible with Windows 7.  Does that make sense to you?

Thanks,

Walt