3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2013 3:13 AM by Mohamed El-Beltagy

trouble with leading

CoGordo4 Level 1

This is going to sound a little  basic but I am having some issues with leading. I am looking to match a document that I am building a template for. The document has a mix of different sized fonts and leading. When I try to match it though I am having trouble  leading individual lines.  For example if I want to bring 3,000 and Acre closer I end up putting the to close. Or if I lead collaborating and with close it them brings Metor to close.  Am I going to have to use the "space after"option  to format that or am I just using leading wrong? Here is a screen shot of the text. I am using Indesign cs5 on mac os 10.6.8

Screen shot 2013-03-04 at 1.43.04 PM.png

• 1. Re: trouble with leading
          Mohamed El-Beltagy

The leading affects the whole paragraph. Try the following:

- Show hidden characters from the type menu if they are not shown then expand your text box's width to make "The 3,000 Acre Classroom" in one line-->select the type tool and click before the number "3,000" and hit return you will find the letter "P" hidden character for the paragraph is shown after "The"--> Hit return again after "Acre". Now the words "3,000 Acre" are in a separate paragraph, select them with the paragraph symbol (hidden character "P") and start to increase and decrease the leading. This will affect only the words "3,000 Acre". In the same way you can select "The" and "Classroom" and adjust their leading independently.

I hope this was helpful.

• 2. Re: trouble with leading
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Mohamed El-Beltagy wrote:

The leading affects the whole paragraph.

That's not quite correct, or at least does not have to be (there's a check box for this in the prefs). If the preference is turned off leading can be set character-by-character, but the largest leading value in a single line will be used for the entire line.

• 3. Re: trouble with leading
              Mohamed El-Beltagy Level 1

Thanks for correcting.