6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2013 8:53 AM by Jim_Simon

What OS is best for editing video in Creative Suite?

lucky856

So the time has come where I am finally abandoning Final Cut Pro and fully embracing the Creative Suite.  Currently I run FCP for cutting, After Effects for visual effects, titles, color correction etc, and Pro Tools for audio.  My plan is to get a tower to run the newest video suite and keep my other Mac as stationary recording studio machine.  My question is are there any benefits to either OS X or windows?  I like the ability to build a rocket of a machine for a third of the price as a Mac Pro.  Plus the mac pro is so preposterously outdated that the specs between the two machines I am comparing are laughable.  Has anyone else done this recently?  What did you go with?

Any kind of advice or help would be much appreciated.  Would love some hardware recommendations as well if you have them.

Thanks in advance and best of luck.

• 1. Re: What OS is best for editing video in Creative Suite?
          JEShort01 Level 4

Best O/S for CS in my opinion is Win7 64 bit. Win8 64 bit could work too and is selling for less, but it seems you have to make a lot of changes to make it look and act like a desktop workstation.

Regarding building or buying a decent workstation, call ADK if you want some knowledgeable one-on-one assistance for building a custom fit to size workstation (high end clone builds) and really good after the sale support. If you want to build your own, do some reading on this forum and see what others are doing at various price points.

Also, you do not want to build a "cheepy" 1/3 the cost of Apple PC and expect good workstation quality and reliability. PCs do cost quite a bit less, but you will likely be best served by a high-end PC (i.e. good power supply, nice case, etc.)

You also do not metion what you will be cutting? It makes a pretty big difference on how big/fast your PC needs are for Red 4k vs HD vs SD.

Regards,

Jim

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What OS is best for editing video in Creative Suite?
            lucky856 Level 1

I cut whatever I get paid to cut.  Primarily XDcam footage and DSLR video.  I do get RED projects a bunch, but I require clients to rent a RED Rocket an expense that out.  I know I need an extra PCI slot for that as well.  We also cut a lot of projects that are mixed formats, and that killed me recently in FCP so I hope that adobe handles that better.

I priced out a custom machine I was going to build with smoking hardware from top to bottom and it cost around 4K.  Comparing that to inferior equipment in the Mac Pro would cost 6K.  That seems like a simple choice right there.  And the 4K box has all high end equipment, in fact I was overbuying certain parts just to see what the price difference is.

Thanks for your help, that all is awesome.  What do you edit on?

• 3. Re: What OS is best for editing video in Creative Suite?
              lucky856 Level 1

Also, I was going to go with Windows 8 simply because it seems inevitable that it will be the prevalent OS, so I might as well fall in line and start using it just to save my self time and money down the line.

• 4. Re: What OS is best for editing video in Creative Suite?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't use Win8, but my wife does... not for video editing, but a "medium high" CAD program she is using to design our next house (she also designed the one we are in)

Once you get past the Win8 start screen, with over-sized icons and the possibility of "apps" from the Win8 store, everything looks and runs just like the old Win7 desktop

There are a few people here who use Win8... do a forum search

• 5. Re: What OS is best for editing video in Creative Suite?
                  lucky856 Level 1

Yep the questions I had were more of OS X vs Windows.  Apple has a new Mac Pro being released soon, and depending on that I may be switching over to Windows.

• 6. Re: What OS is best for editing video in Creative Suite?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Win8 [requires] a lot of changes to make it look and act like a desktop workstation.

It's not quite that bad.  You might want to make a few tweaks taking about 10 minutes or so.  But there are some nice improvements in Win 8 that make it worthwhile, I think.  I'm so used to it on my personal system that I find myself trying to do things the Win 8 way on my edit system and getting a little frustrated.

I'll be upgrading my office and edit systems to Win 8 as soon as the budget allows.