8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2013 4:50 PM by Artyyyyyyyyyy

Is After Effects Good for YouTube-Style presentations?

Artyyyyyyyyyy

Hi! I'm about to start a new channel where I'm going to make educational videos about mysterious/strange topics. I'm thinking of using an animation program for brief and simple short animations, that would make about 1/3 of my videos. Animations would be only for presenting my ideas, similar to CPG Grey's videos (a Youtuber with video style that I want to implement, particularly the visuals), not for anything serious like cartoons. It is in a power-pointish style but looks brilliant (apparently he uses Keynote but I don't have a Mac ). A sample of what I mean is here.

I also want to learn After Effects for future video editing so I thought it might be a good idea to use it for the animations and learn it at the same time. So, any comments? Do you think I would be able to use AF for animations similar to those of CPG Grey's?

Thank you for your replies!

-Arty

• 1. Re: Is After Effects Good for YouTube-Style presentations?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can do just about anything in AE you want to given time, training, and talent. Slide shows to Dark Knight Rises...  It just depends on your talent level your training. Is AE the easiest way to duplicate the video you pointed us to? NO... Can it do it, Yes, but so can Power Point, Premiere, Vegas, or an iPhone or Android with the right app.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is After Effects Good for YouTube-Style presentations?
            Artyyyyyyyyyy Level 1

Thanks for a reply. So what program do you suggest/how much time do I need to approximately teach myself this style of animation graphics in AE?

I don't want to use Power Point, I've used it for million years and the stuff you can do there is not what I'm looking for...

• 3. Re: Is After Effects Good for YouTube-Style presentations?

It's very hard to say how long it will take you to learn AE. AE is layer based and uses keyframes for anything you want to change. It also depends on how complicated you want to make your animation. A simple slide show timed to music takes an experienced artist with a fairly good set of tools about 20 to 30 seconds per slide to bring them in, set a keyframe for in and out, adjust position and move to the next shot. That means a 60 image slide show will take about a half hour to go through just to start. Throw in twice that much time for tweaking and you have an hour and a half for 60 slides. Now throw in any time you'll need to create any text or do any other animations - Figure 3 or 4 minutes minimum per new layer or effect, and add the time to produce the audio track and you've easily looking at 6 to 8 hours for a 60 slide show project.

The other option, record your audio track, open up something like iPhoto or the windows equivalent and select fit slide show to audio track and push go.

A new AE artist could easily spend a week doing a  60 slide show animation. Someone that's done a similar project a lot and isn't going to have to spend a lot of time creating graphics could knock one out in about an hour. If I were to tackle the job of reproducing the video you pointed us to I'd want a week. It would probably be done in 2 or 3 days, but I'd want a week. There's a lot more stuff in there than a clever script and a nicely produced audio track. This kind of stuff is not that hard but it is notoriously time consuming.

BTW, the entire video you showed us could be produced in Power Point or Keynote in about the same time, may be even a little quicker.

• 4. Re: Is After Effects Good for YouTube-Style presentations?
                BenjaminMarkus Level 4

If you don't want to use powerpoint, I might also suggest trying Premiere Pro instead of After Effects.  You might find it more intuitive and easier to work with if you're synching your images to audio.  In premiere you can also do simple motion graphics like the ones in the video you pointed out using keyframes.  This tutorial explains how to work with keyframes in Premiere:

• 5. Re: Is After Effects Good for YouTube-Style presentations?
                  Artyyyyyyyyyy Level 1

Rick Gerard wrote:

BTW, the entire video you showed us could be produced in Power Point or Keynote in about the same time, may be even a little quicker.

In fact the video I linked is made with Keynote, as some people on Youtube told me (although I did not get a message from the author himself, so I'm not certain about this). I'm on PC so Keynote is out of options, while I'm afraid powerpoint is too simple... although I will still try it out tommorow as an experiment. Do you think it will be more effective for me to use Powerpoint & Premiere or AE & Premiere combinations?

• 6. Re: Is After Effects Good for YouTube-Style presentations?
                    Artyyyyyyyyyy Level 1

I already use Premiere Pro, but it seems to simplistic (I want animations!)

• 7. Re: Is After Effects Good for YouTube-Style presentations?

You can animate in Premiere Pro, you have more options in After Effects, Power Point can do animations, fancy ones, so can Microsoft Movie Maker. If you want to use AE you'll have to learn how. If you want to use Premiere Pro for animations you'll have to learn how. If you want to use Power Point, you guessed it, you'll have to learn how. There is no magic bullet that will let you just drop in a bunch of images and create an interesting animation. Every technique involves editing, keyframes, and timing with audio. They all take time. Stop worrying about it and start your project. When you get stuck ask questions.

• 8. Re: Is After Effects Good for YouTube-Style presentations?
                        Artyyyyyyyyyy Level 1

Yes, it would make more sense to start learning AE than talking about it... I'm sticking with After Effects, thanks for the replies , was very helpful.