4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2013 6:36 AM by mattias@gordon.se

Filmformat 16:9 or 2:40 ?

mattias@gordon.se Level 1

I have often worked with the format 16:9 but now if you want to have a format it´s more something like 2:40 ( something)?a

I can´t find a format like this to choose from in After Effects ( I have 5.5
      There is something I haven understood I think.

Some help in this issue woulb great.

/ Mattias

• 1. Re: Filmformat 16:9 or 2:40 ?
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Sorry, seriously not being rude here, but your question simply doesn't make sense. What does "now if you want to have a format" mean?

Who/what are you producing content for?  Do they have specifications for that content? Video/film production is a very technically precise medium, and you need to provide us with some technical information if we can even start to answer your questions.

• 2. Re: Filmformat 16:9 or 2:40 ?

Yes I completly understand  your question.

This is how it is?
            I usually produce movies in the HD format 1920x1080 ( 16:9)

I recently  made a short title film for our local cineam who had installed a digital projector ( format DCP)

When viewing the film on the cinema teh film seemed so small compared to the other films. It was in a box and not until the corner of the screen.

Then the sound editor said it was the wrong format. It has to be 2:35 he said but I must be 2:40:1 I guess.

I had a look in the presets in AE but could not find anything that could seems right. I also searched on the net and did not find any thing that helped me. I normally know the technican demands but now I am lost.

And maybe the problem with the small film was not a format issue.

I hope this makes more sense...

/Mattias

-

• 3. Re: Filmformat 16:9 or 2:40 ?
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You're throwing numbers around which don't mean much or explain the problem.  It's not much use knowing a ratio without knowing the resolution requirements.  And th sound guy is probably not the best guy to ask about video requirements.  :-)

Speak to the most technically proficient person at the cinema and ask for the specific file requirements for the content they display:

Video codec and specs

Audio codec and specs

Resolution

Screen Ratio

Most cinemas can display various ratios and digital display resolutions.  The majority of cinema advertising I produce is in 16:9 ratio at 1920x1080.

• 4. Re: Filmformat 16:9 or 2:40 ?

Ok, thanks

Yes it think the problem with the small image is somewhere else.

/Mattias