6 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2015 1:09 AM by SteveG(AudioMasters) RSS

Opening cell phone audio

ISCAW Community Member

Is there a way to open cell phone audio like 3ga in Audition CS6?  Or is there reliable software to do so from reputable (yes, mainstream) sources?

• 1. Re: Opening cell phone audio
          SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

As far as I can tell, these file types are merely containers, and if you change the extension on the file to either mp3 or wav, the appropriate Windows media converter will open it without you having to do anything else at all.

So before going any further, I suggest that you try changing .3ga to .wav or .mp3 and see what happens - this might be easier than you think!

• 2. Re: Opening cell phone audio
            _durin_ Adobe Employee

The .3ga extension doesn't appear to be recognized by our importers, but you should be able to drag and drop these files, or set the Enable dropdown in the Open Files dialog to All Files to select and open these on OS X.  Quicktime and the native OS X support will open them as .3g2 files, but the data appears to be fully imported and correct, at least in the test files I tried.  I don't believe the same support exists on Windows.

edit: Steve G's comments may be accurate, depending on the specifics of the file.  The compression method used may be compatible with other importers when forced through them.  However, I believe that the 3GA format can also be DRM-locked, and therefore either encrypted or otherwise flagged in a manner which may or may not be covered under laws in your area.

• 3. Re: Opening cell phone audio
              pedrogawdin Community Member

The recommended solution to open cell phone audio like 3ga in Audition CS6 is convert 3ga to a more popular audio format like mp3 or wav and etc

I know a 3ga converter called iDealshare VideoGo which can convert 3GA to MP3, WAV, M4A, WMA, AC3, AAC, FLAC, OGG, AIFF, RA, AU, DTS, MP2, APE and etc.

I know a 3ga converter  called iDealshare VideoGo which can convert 3GA to MP3, WAV, M4A, WMA,  AC3, AAC, FLAC, OGG, AIFF, RA, AU, DTS, MP2, APE and etc. Step by step guide at  http://www.idealshare.net/3ga-to-mp3-converter.html.

Read more:  Converting .3ga into eiter wav or mp3 files? - Have recording on a  samsung phone that i like to transfer to mp3 but the convert that i have  doesnt regonices that format its anyconvert :: Ask Me Fast at http://www.askmefast.com/Converting_3ga_into_eiter_wav_or_mp3_files-qna3079003.html#q56078 86
              • 4. Re: Opening cell phone audio
                fadireslly Community Member

Some people suggest renaming the extension from .3ga to .mp3 or .3gp, and then you can play it on computer. That really works sometimes, but not always.

Why renaming works sometimes? Some players check file extension before check file content. These players recognize MP4/3GP format and AAC codec, but not .3ga extension. If you fool it to believe this is a supported file, MP3 or others, it continue to check the content of the file, and find it to be in 3GP format with AAC codec, then play it successfully.

Why renaming not always works? Changing file extension doesn't change file content and format, it is still a 3GP file. If your player doesn't support 3GP format and AAC codec, it cannot play your 3GA file whatever extension you change it to be.

To successfully play 3GA files on most popular players or devices, a recommended solution is convert 3GA files to MP3, WAV, M4A, FLAC, AC3 etc.

• 5. Re: Opening cell phone audio
                  flincherf Community Member

You can rename the file extension to *mp3. And it will be compatible with your device SOMETIMES NOT ALWAYS. The best way is to convert it to a format which will be easily recognized by your CS6. I adopted the way in a post which introduced 3 ways to convert *3ga to *mp3.

• 6. Re: Opening cell phone audio
                    SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

fadireslly wrote:

Some people suggest renaming the extension from .3ga to .mp3 or .3gp, and then you can play it on computer. That really works sometimes, but not always.

Why renaming works sometimes? Some players check file extension before check file content. These players recognize MP4/3GP format and AAC codec, but not .3ga extension. If you fool it to believe this is a supported file, MP3 or others, it continue to check the content of the file, and find it to be in 3GP format with AAC codec, then play it successfully.

Why renaming not always works? Changing file extension doesn't change file content and format, it is still a 3GP file. If your player doesn't support 3GP format and AAC codec, it cannot play your 3GA file whatever extension you change it to be.

It's a good question. I think that the answer to this is that it depends on how the file was built, and the header information contained within it. Just renaming the extension doesn't cut it - it's the metadata that gets looked at too. That's the problem with 'containers' - you can put whatever you like in there, and the only safe way to do it is to make sure that it only contains what it says. If there's conflicting metadata, then all bets are off.

At this point the only reliable (I think) way to deal with this, assuming that you know it's mp3 format data, is to open it as a .raw file and specify the appropriate decode information. This certainly used to work, but I haven't tried all the possible combinations to be sure that it's absolutely successful.