5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2013 1:34 PM by rob day

Why is B&W image printing in color in InDesign?

Nebraska53

I am using Indesign 4.0 to layout out a book in two colors, black and cyan. The printshop seperates the black and cyan and prints black with a spot color of their choosing. The problem is that sometimes I want to include a B&W TIF image in the book and it then appears in the cyan seperation instead of the black seperation. If I convert the TIF image to grayscale then it only appears in the black seperation where it should. I prefer using B&W images since they are much smaller.

• 1. Re: Why is B&W image printing in color in InDesign?
          MW Design Level 4

Without knowing the specifics of the image, I get your desired separations using the PDFX-1a profile.

Mike

• 2. Re: Why is B&W image printing in color in InDesign?
            John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not sure I can account for why the bitmap image separates to the cyan plate rather than the black, but I don't really understand why you find using it in grayscale to solve that problem is prohibitive. At first I thought, well perhaps there are hundreds of these images involved, but then I reread:

sometimes I want to include a B&W TIF image

That doesn't sound like hundreds. I'm sure going to grayscale adds a fair number of bytes, but too many? Really? I think you may be over-economizing. Obviously, we're talking about print here. Capacities for storing and processing files aren't nearly as limited as they were just 5 years ago, and I'd say your thinking is at least 10 years out of date.

• 3. Re: Why is B&W image printing in color in InDesign?
              Nebraska53 Level 1

I guess I should add that from InDesign I save the final file in a [press quality] PDF preset. That is what the printer works from.

Are you saying that we need to use the PDF/X-1a PDF preset for the final file?

• 4. Re: Why is B&W image printing in color in InDesign?
                MW Design Level 4

"Press Quality" profile is a misnomer in that all of the profiles can be "press quality." The profile you are using will not include the ouput intent profile.

It will separate using the PDFX-1a properly. It is what I would use.

that said, as John mentioned, grayscale will not up the number of bytes needed and likely it will be better quality versus a 1-bit image.

Mike

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Why is B&W image printing in color in InDesign?
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I guess I should add that from InDesign I save the final file in a [press quality] PDF preset. That is what the printer works from.

Are you saying that we need to use the PDF/X-1a PDF preset for the final file?

If you use the Press Quality preset the PDF is exported without color profiles. Without a profile the printer has to make sure the print destination profile matches the current Acrobat working space. If you open Acrobat's Output Preview and choose a simulation print profile that conflicts with the Acrobat CMYK working space you'll see the problem.

Here my Acrobat's color management CMYK Working Space is US Sheetfed Coated with a matching simulation output profile

AcrobatScreenSnapz001.png

If the simulation profile doesn't match:

AcrobatScreenSnapz002.png

PDF/X-1a helps because it includes an output intent profile. In that case the printer simply needs to use the Output Intent profile as the destination:

AcrobatScreenSnapz003.png