4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2013 6:15 PM by Noel Carboni

After saving as jpeg images sometimes look different in other programs or online.

kstevensxx

Any ideas how to get more consistent results would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: After saving as jpeg images sometimes look different in other programs or online.
          Noel Carboni Level 8

If every application and system were properly color-managed it would be possible to get consistent color everywhere.

As it is, that's simply not the case.

Many folks feel that publishing an image in the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile is the best approach.  There is debate about whether to publish a profile in the image to identify to systems/browsers that have proper color-management that it is using that profile - my opinion is that you should do so.

If you have a wide-gamut monitor that doesn't closely emulate the sRGB profile, and assuming you have it calibrated and profiled, you will see different things when you display an sRGB image using a fully color-managed application (e.g., Photoshop), a partially color-managed application (e.g., Internet Explorer), or a non-color-managed applications (e.g., an older viewer application).  That is to be expected.

The various browsers implement different levels of color-management.  I mentioned that IE only does half the job - it interprets image color profiles, but it assumes every monitor is sRGB regardless of its profile.  Firefox can do a full job of color-management, even including non-image web page element color-management, but it takes reconfiguration to do so.  Safari only does image color-management, not web page elements.  Last I looked Chrome ignored color-management entirely.

Create your image in the sRGB color-space, trust what you see on your calibrated and profiled system when the image is displayed in Photoshop - i.e., make the colors look right there - and make your own choice about whether to publish with the sRGB profile embedded.  That's about the best you can do.

-Noel

• 3. Re: After saving as jpeg images sometimes look different in other programs or online.
            kstevensxx Level 1

That's what I was afraid of... an interpretation problem.  How do you publish a profile within the image to identify to systems/browsers?

• 4. Re: After saving as jpeg images sometimes look different in other programs or online.
              Noel Carboni Level 8

When you save a file there's a checkbox in the dialog in the Color section that you can check to instruct Photoshop to save a color profile in the image file (e.g., JPEG).

-Noel