9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2013 5:37 AM by denez mcadoo

RE: NVIDIA Quadro K600

VideoOnWheels Level 1

This card was just released..does anyone know if Adobe Premiere or After Effects plan to support it?

• 1. Re: RE: NVIDIA Quadro K600
          Harm Millaard Level 7

No.

But with a price of around $ 200 it is  - again - overpriced and underperforming. It is double the price of a GT 640 and will not perform any better. For the same amount of money you can have a GTX 660 that will leave the K600 in the dust by a factor of nearly 4.

Scroll down to the video card performance section on this page http://ppbm7.com/index.php/latest-news and see what you can expect from it.

• 2. Re: RE: NVIDIA Quadro K600
            VideoOnWheels Level 1

Thank You!

• 3. Re: RE: NVIDIA Quadro K600
              denez mcadoo Level 1

So even after reading the (largly one sided) debate on quadro vs non-quadro Nvidia cards, I went ahead and got the Quadro K600 over something like the GeForce GTX 650 Ti or GTX 660 (which are the current offering in a similar price range). I was running an older Quadro FX 580, and performance wise, I felt it was not bad. So going to the K600 was about double the performance from where I was at. Since it was in the right price range, I figured I'd just go ahead and pay the premium, get the reassurence, and compatability of the Quadro line, over the cheaper, more muscle of the other cards.

So when I got home, installed the card, went into Premiere and turned on "Mercury Playback Engine Hardware Accelarated" it poped up a warning about it using a non-supported card and that this might cause issues! This is exactly what I THOUGHT I was paying for. It turnes out that the Quadro K600 infact not on the list of supported cards.

So is it, or is it not utalising my Quadro card for the Mercury Playback? If not, I'm going to return the card right away. I'd rather save money and get more power for a non-supported card that I'm going to have to hack, then pay premium for a non-supported card that I'm going to have to hack.

• 4. Re: RE: NVIDIA Quadro K600
                joshweiland Level 2

When that warning message appeared, that the card was not officially supported, it gave you an option to use it anyway (w/hardware-acceleration) or to use software-only.

If you're not sure which you chose, go to your project settings to make sure hardware acceleration is enabled.  This will utilize your GPU, no hacks required.

• 5. Re: RE: NVIDIA Quadro K600
                  SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

I'm not aware of any "use it anyway" or manual over-ride option for the GPU - is this new to CC perhaps? Not so with CS6 or prior!

One doesn't even really need to change the cuda_supported_cards.txt file - if you just change the name so it is not seen, then Premiere will just use any card that meets the basic requirements.

Look in Programs > Adobe > Premiere

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 6. Re: RE: NVIDIA Quadro K600
                    joshweiland Level 2

SAFEHARBOR11 wrote:

I'm not aware of any "use it anyway" or manual over-ride option for the GPU - is this new to CC perhaps? Not so with CS6 or prior!

Yes, this is new functionality in CC. http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2013/05/improved-gpu-support-in-adobe-premiere-pro-cc.h tml

In CS6, you either had to hack the txt file or delete it.  That's no longer the case in CC.

• 7. Re: RE: NVIDIA Quadro K600
                      denez mcadoo Level 1

Yep, it let me choose the option anyways.

But still, I thought the whole "Quadro" advantage is that it's certified to work with more workstation graphics programs. Well, the K600 isn't, so what did I just pay for?

• 8. Re: RE: NVIDIA Quadro K600
                        SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Hi Denez,

Adobe can't test EVERY display card out there, so they just pick and choose a handful of units that they think are best suited for whatever reasons. Many other cards WILL WORK even though not "officially" supported.

As you are probably already thinking, you should've gotten the 660 as recommended earlier ;-)

Jeff

• 9. Re: RE: NVIDIA Quadro K600
                          denez mcadoo Level 1

I returned the Quadro and got a GTX 650 ti boost. It was the same price.