5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2013 2:26 PM by Great_whoop

Indesign CS4 (mac) crashing on launch

Great_whoop

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I've recently upgraded my operating system (tiger > snow leopard). Before doing this I uninstalled CS4 fully and after the upgrade reinstalled it again. Photoshop and Acrobat pro both work fine (I don't use illustrator so haven't installed it). Indesign however crashes as soon as it starts to load up: it bounces for around 10sec on the dashboard and then crashes.

Here is the crash report: http://pastebin.com/3iX0uy7U

I've already tried several of the options for getting it to work. Have checked and mended my fonts, verified and repaired disk permissions, moved the indesign permissions files.

I ran an update since installation when it wouldn't load up, so am now running 6.0.6 Indesign CS4.

Thanks,

Jess

• 1. Re: Indesign CS4 (mac) crashing on launch
          PrintFusion45 Employee Moderator

Quit InDesign if it is already running. Then clean the InDesign cache folder manually by moving the en_US folder from the following location: Macintosh HD/Users/<username>/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version 6.0/. Drag the en_US folder to the desktop and relaunch InDesign. Paste a screenshot of the Sharing and Permissions panel by expanding it within the Get Info panel for the following folder:

/Applications/Adobe InDesign CS4/

Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/

Macintosh HD/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/

Macintosh HD/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.InDesign.plist.

Macintosh HD/Users/<username>/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign

Macintosh HD/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign

Macintosh HD/Users/<username>/Library/Saved Application State/com.adobe.InDesign.savedState

All the above folders and files should have read and write permissions for Admin and your current account.

• 2. Re: Indesign CS4 (mac) crashing on launch
            Great_whoop Level 1

Hi,

I've checked all of those locations that exist on my system and the permissions are fine. My laptop doesn't have the following files however:

Macintosh HD/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign

Macintosh HD/Users/<username>/Library/Saved Application State/com.adobe.InDesign.savedState

...and for that reason the first suggestion cannot be attempted.

Just to be clear though, Indesign doesn't run at all. I'm certainly in no danger of having it running whilst doing any of this!

Thanks for the advice though. This is the crash report now: http://pastebin.com/NbJ1H8rg

• 3. Re: Indesign CS4 (mac) crashing on launch
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Those two items are probably missing because ID needs to start to write them. It could still be a problem that your account doesn't have the required permission to do that write operation.

Have you tried a new and different user account?

• 4. Re: Indesign CS4 (mac) crashing on launch
                PrintFusion45 Employee Moderator

The crash report looks the same this time too. When you say you're not able to see these folders  Macintosh HD/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign and Macintosh HD/Users/<username>/Library/Saved Application State/com.adobe.InDesign.savedState, do you mean that you're not able to access Library folder itself or these folders are not created under your user profile Library folder? If InDesign is not able to write to Preferences folder then this is a permissions issue for sure. As Peter said, please try creating a new user account following this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/ph6651. The new account should be administrator type.

• 5. Re: Indesign CS4 (mac) crashing on launch
                  Great_whoop Level 1

My existing account is already an admin user, so there really shouldn't be an issue. Just set up a new admin user and tried to load indesign - the same problem occurs.

I'll try uninstalling and installing again...