• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Do I Uninstall Flash Player v. 9.0.124.0?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit.

Secunia PSI shows that I have two versions of Flash Player installed:  11.6.602.171 (NAPI) and 9.0.124.0 (ActiveX).

I have been trying to delete v. 9.0.124.0 because it is an old, unsecure version but have not been successful.  I used the Uninstall Flash Player utility available at:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

and made sure to follow all the instructions shown in paragraph No. 3 of that link.  Then I re-installed v. 11.6.602.171.

As soon as I re-start my laptop, Secunia PSI shows that v. 9.0.124.0 is back.  (It is a file called Flash9t.ocx located in c:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash.  I have also tried to manually delete this file several times but it is re-created the next time I boot up!).

So... how do I get rid of v. 9.0.124.0?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 11, 2013 Mar 11, 2013

I finally figured out how to solve the problem.

* I deleted the file (Flash9t.ocx located in c:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash)

* I performed a clean boot using these instructions:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 and discovered that the program that causes Flash Player 9 ActiveX to be re-created every time that I boot up is

called ASUS Screen Saver Protector (AsScrPro.exe, v. 1.0.0.9), located in c:\Windows\.  Carefully follow the instructions in "How to determine what is causing the pr

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that something on your system requires the Flash Player 9 ActiveX, and installs it during startup.

Can you examine your startup list (e.g. with CCleaner Tools Startup) if there is anything in there that would do such a thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was thinking the same way.  There must be something installed on my computer that causes FP 9 to come back time and again...

I did run CCleaner's Startup utilty.  There are many, many entries in each tab and I am no expert in this field.  I could capture the data in a text file and paste the results in the body of my next message.  Would you be interested in taking a look at it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2013 Mar 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally figured out how to solve the problem.

* I deleted the file (Flash9t.ocx located in c:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash)

* I performed a clean boot using these instructions:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 and discovered that the program that causes Flash Player 9 ActiveX to be re-created every time that I boot up is

called ASUS Screen Saver Protector (AsScrPro.exe, v. 1.0.0.9), located in c:\Windows\.  Carefully follow the instructions in "How to determine what is causing the problem by clean boot".

* I downloaded Autoruns (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx) and with that I unchecked the entry "ASUS Screen Saver Protector AsScrPro ASUS c:\windows\asscrpro.exe"

so that it does not automatically load during startup anymore.

* I ran Secunia PSI and it confirmed that Flash Player 9 ActiveX is gone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2013 Mar 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the feedback!  Sorry I missed your earlier post from last week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines