11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2014 3:12 AM by SoloAz

Automate word to indesign

diabokchan Level 1

Hi i was wondering if there was a simple way to batch convert word documents to indesign? I currently have about 500 word documents in a folder that i wish to convert into indesign files. At the moment i'm manually doing this by creating new documents, selecting the word file and placing it then saving as .indd file. is there a way to automate the process? thanks

• 1. Re: Automate word to indesign
          Trevorׅ Adobe Community Professional

Hi diabokchan,

Depending on what needs doing to the documents and how complicated they are you'll probably the sort of stuff you have to pay for a script.

It would be simple to make a  script to do the following:

Automatically place one by every word document in either in a folder (either including subfolders or not) or files selected on an open dialogue into automatically created indesign documents apply the word-import options to them (see screenshot below) add the correct number of pages and then save and close the indesign document.

_Untitled-1 @ 68%_2013-03-06_17-52-03.png

If the word documents are diverse, i.e. different sized paper Some A4, A5 letter sized or they have different margins then that complicates things.

Paragraph and character styles can be created automatically but that can slow down the script run time majorly.

What sort of documents are they? Books, business letters, small multi page contract like things?

Which version of Word and Indesign do you have?

Mac or Windows?

Are you looking for some help in writing the script yourself are to have someone write it for you?

Trevor

• 2. Re: Automate word to indesign

Forgot to mention are Latin based i.e. English, French etc. or complex scripts i.e Indian, Chinese, Hebrew, Arabic etc. ?

• 3. Re: Automate word to indesign
              diabokchan Level 1

Hi Trevor, thanks for the quick reply i'm actually not doing anything fancy to the document, just as i said new indesign doc -> place word doc -> save. i'm using word 2010 but the files are 2003 version and indesign cs6. they are just newsletters with simple tables although the amount of pages vary the font, layout are all the same.

• 4. Re: Automate word to indesign

Hi diabokchan,

Yes your right it's pretty simple

is it for a Mac or Pc?

P.s. Please check your private mail as I sent you one.

Adobe Community_ Automate word to indesign_2013-03-07_01-37-27.png

• 5. Re: Automate word to indesign

Hi,

I don't know if you got my private message from a few days back (not the one advertised above) but if not then you can check it out.

I don't think you need to send me the files I asked for over there but send me an email to my account @gmail TrevorsScripts

Regards

Trevor

• 6. Re: Automate word to indesign
                    amolvwrepro Level 1

Hi Trevor,

I am looking for similar simple script as diabokchan.

May I request for your help please?

regards.

Amol

• 7. Re: Automate word to indesign

Hi Amol,

I have a pro version, I need to finish the user interface, and could do so quickly if you want.

As is the script will import all the word documents in a directory and it's sub directories and convert them to word according to the way you want your indesign document set up.

It will only handle documents that can be imported manually into word and you need to enter the size of the page and margins of the indesign document as it will not automatically discover the size of the word doc pages or margins.

That feature might come in some years to come if there's a demand.

See the below screen shot of the not complete UI.  At pressent (when the UI will be finished) the cost is $45

Batch Word Importer.png

Be in touch if you are interested

Trevor

• 8. Re: Automate word to indesign

P.s. Welcome to the forum.

P.p.s. click on the above screenshot to see it clearly

• 9. Re: Automate word to indesign
                          amolvwrepro Level 1

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for immediate feedback!

Looks great... Page sizes for documents are same - So is there a way to pre-define the size (its not regular A4, A5 etc.- it 12cm W X 22cm H

regards

Amol

• 10. Re: Automate word to indesign

Hi Amol

No problem, in the Width box you would type in 12cm and in the height one 22cm - quite easy

If your default measurements are set to cm then you could also just type in 12 and 22 without the cm.

Regards

Trevor

I could set those dimensions as the default dimensions for you if you like

• 11. Re: Automate word to indesign
                              SoloAz Level 1

Trevor,

Do you have this script available for purchase? I need to convert several hundred rtf files to InDesign. Thank  you!