6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2013 8:27 AM by SteveCTWriter

How do I copy and paste a shape (or layer) from one file to another keeping all of its attributes?

SteveCTWriter

Our department currently uses MS Paint to place varied colored boxes for callouts on top of screen figures used in our documentation. As you know, MS Paint is not a robust image editing application, and we are frustrated at its limitations (especially not having a "non-destructive" edit capability). Consequently, we are evaluating a trial version of PS to see how a workflow could be developed that would allow the department to use callout boxes "stored" in a PS file that could be applied in an easy, consistent manner to our screen figures (but also keep each callout box editable) using PS.

Consequently, in PS using the shape tool, I created a file with our colored boxes for callouts, each on its own layer. Now I am trying to determine how you copy and paste a box (or layer) from this file to a "working" file (one containing a screen figure), while keeping all of its attributes (color, line weight, being editable, etc.). I can't seem to find an option to do this. Is there? If not, is there another workflow in PS that you can recommend for this type of procedure?