8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2013 8:44 PM by Ken Nielsen RSS

Can I copy and paste on an audio track?

Ken Nielsen Community Member

I have a nice clip of ducks swimming peacefully, but there is a dog bark that I would like to remove. I'm looking at the clip in the Source Monitor with Show Audio Waveform selected. If I could simply copy a section of the wave form with the 'white noise' at the pond that surrounds the 'dog bark' then paste that over the dog bark that would fix it. Is it possible to do this in Premiere?

• 1. Re: Can I copy and paste on an audio track?
          JSS1138 Community Member

It's possible to do this in any NLE.  It's what NLEs do.

Now, if you really meant to ask how to do this...

FAQ: How do I learn Premiere Pro?

• 2. Re: Can I copy and paste on an audio track?

It's good to know it can be done and I don't need to go into Audition to do it then. What I've done for now is Keyframe edit using bezier curves with the pen tool to simply go to zero volume when the dog barks. But now, to cut and paste would be the cat's pajamas. I will search the reference materials you have listed Jim, or, and also, I will ask:

How do you cut and paste audio within an audio waveform in Premiere Pro?

TIA,

Ken

PS: I have the CS6 Classroom in a book, which is excellent but nowhere does it mention being able to cut and paste waveforms. Also, looking at the contents of Video2Brain courses, I don't see a mention of working with audio waveforms. I really do need a little more specific help in knowing which of these resources touches on the subject of editing audio waveforms within Premier Pro. The Online Help for Premiere Pro does not contain 'cutting and pasting audio waveforms' in the ways that I have searched on it. If it really is possible within Premiere Pro, they are not making it easy to discover.

• 3. Re: Can I copy and paste on an audio track?
              the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

There have been, for some time, issues with Copy/Paste for Audio files, in PrPro. Other than those issues, there should not be a problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Can I copy and paste on an audio track?
                shooternz Community Member

You Copy a section of audio into a new audio track and position it where you want then you mix them together.

Usually best to go back to the source audio and set in / out points and overlay / insert that where you want it.

Audio is best done multi layered so that you can blend/mix it using handles.

• 5. Re: Can I copy and paste on an audio track?

Thanks shooternz, This really gets me going on how it should be done. I found no way to marquee-select or make any selection at all in the Source Panel while viewing the clip's audio waveform. I figured there must be another window that is used to do editing. Using a new audio track makes sense. Using in and out points makes sense. Thanks for getting me on the right track with this. Something like this seems so obvious that it's not really mentioned in the context I need to work with, but covering a dog bark is probably not that unusual of a need in Video Editing.

• 6. Re: Can I copy and paste on an audio track?

Just to wind this up for now, Editing Audio in waveforms is what you do in Audition, and editing audio in Premiere Pro is done on the timeline. Do I have this right?

• 7. Re: Can I copy and paste on an audio track?
                      shooternz Community Member

Premiere has a lot of audio editing capability and I suspect all that you need.

Audition has more audio capability...and with respect... I suggest more than you need for now.

"waveforms" is not quite the right term to use in the context of your question.

Simply ... you are just editing "audio" files.

• 8. Re: Can I copy and paste on an audio track?

I've been working with Audition since before it was bought by Adobe and was known as Cool Edit Pro and enjoy it's destructive-approach waveform editing capabilities. While working on the timeline should work, I actually crashed Premiere Pro today when I tried to do an in-point on the audio track (only had audio track selected in timeline) and hitting the 'I' key for in-point crashed the program. I'll file this with Adobe so they can sort it out, manwhile, I was easily able to edit the waveform in Audition and simply 'cut' the portion of the audio I didn't want and paste in a portion of track that sounded exactly the same. Pretty easy since I was simply pasting in a constant 'white noise' of the background sound of the shot.

Got rid of the dog bark. Exported the track in aiff format and imported into Premiere and replaced the old track (deleted) with the new.

I'm sure there are many ways to skin a cat as they say, So I appreciate your comments and reply here.

Ken

PS, Not one to be daunted by a software crash, I came back to Premiere tonight opening a new project with a new audiofile which I selected and applied an in and out point to successfully without a hitch. So now I know that works also. It's good to start learning the avenues that are available in Premiere Pro, but I'm finding also that Audition holds a strong place in working hand-in hand with Premiere. To me, the audio portion of a presentation is no less important than the video portion.