12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2013 7:52 AM by gtjr

New PC Build Comments and Suggestions please :)

gtjr

I am going to build a new PC for Video editing etc.

Adobe Premiere, After Effects, the Whole CS6 package amoung others.

I want the best bang for the buck

Currently I have a tower case, and a corsair 650 powersupply.

This is what I was considering to build.

MY Max Budget is 1500, THAT IS MAX I really want around $1000-$1300

I7 3770 or 3770K (3770K is $229, 3770 $260)  Not sure which is best is it worth $30

more for 3770 over 3770K

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO12 evo  $30

Motherboard

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH LGA 1155  $185

http://www.microcenter.com/product/396870/GA-Z77X-UP4_TH_LGA_1155_Intel_Z77_ATX_Intel_Moth erboard
      I like this board because it has thunderbolt. I have no use for thunderbolt yet, but may later

RAM 32 GB Hyper X Red 16GB DDR3-1600  $170 for 2 sets

http://www.microcenter.com/product/401554/Hyper_X_Red_16GB_DDR3-1600_%28PC3-

12800%29_CL_10_Desktop_Memory_Kit_%28Two_8GB_Memory_Modules%29

MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Twin Frozr III $209 After Rebate

http://www.microcenter.com/product/403002/N660_TF_2GD5-

OC_NVIDIA_GeForce_GTX_660_Twin_Frozr_III_Overclocked_2048MB_GDDR5_PCIe_30_x16_Video_Card

SSD 256 GB  Crucial M4 $199

I am debating getting

2 - 2 TB

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s

Or 2 Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB

They both cost the same ($90) I get double storage from

Seagate of course

Seems like Western Digital Black may be more reliable

My plan would be to put whichever of these drives I get into

a Raid 0 Array.

Not sure what would be best purpose for  the Raid 0 would be I have seen

a few different ideas as to the best use for Raid 0

That can be debated later

Western Digital 750GB 3.5" SATA 7,200RPM $48

Just for storage of Other files etc etc or whatever the best use may be for it.

If it can be used with Adobe apps as well great.

LG 14X Blu Ray Burner $60

perhaps a couple corsair case fans if needed $30 for 2

May not need them. I know my case already has at least one fan.

Total for all of this is about $1310
      Comments, Suggestions please???

If I cut the costs some I may put that towards another monitor,  or perhaps

An editing keyboard specific to adobe.  I also don't want to sacrafice much performance either.

• 1. Re: New PC Build Comments and Suggestions please :)
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Looks good for the budget, but do choose the unlocked version of the 3770, which means the 3770K version, because it can be more easily overclocked. It saves money as well and offers more flexibility for the future.

• 2. Re: New PC Build Comments and Suggestions please :)
            gtjr Level 1

Thanks. I am not an overclocker, but if I can save $30 I will. I guess I google overclock.

• 3. Re: New PC Build Comments and Suggestions please :)
              gtjr Level 1

2 more questions

1. Which hard drive would you choose the WD with less storage or the seagate with more? WD seems more reliable from what I read. I am leaning to WD. More
              Storage is always tempting.

2. How would you suggest setting them up  I know SSD for OS and Programs
              Raid 0 for Media and Cache?

Then 750 GB single drive for miscellaneous stuff etc??

Thoughts?

Thanks

• 4. Re: New PC Build Comments and Suggestions please :)
                Harm Millaard Level 7

There is something mysterious in people's behaviour. If they bought something and they never experienced any problem with it, they tend to stay with that brand, but if they encountered difficulties and especially if that happened more than once, they tend to steer away from that brand. If you buy a certain brand of car and it is at the dealer for repairs more often than you like, your next car will probably be another brand.

I have had my share of problems with Seagate disks (7200.11 series that were notoriously bad and had a failure rate of more than 100% after several were replaced under warranty), so my natural tendency was to steer away from Seagate and look for other options. However, when I considered the price of their 7200.14 series, I was tempted again, but at the same time turned off by their meager 1 year warranty and the reviews on for instance NewEgg. Those reviews are generally rather meaningless, because you never know how people have handled and installed their stuff, but nevertheless it was a mark on the wall for me. In my specific case I needed 25 identical disks to start with and based on price, warranty and reputation I selected Seagate Constellation ES (the Enterprise editions) drives, which up to now have performed flawlessly for 6 months. I have to admit I have never used WD drives at all apart from the Velociraptor which is still going strong in my old system, but they seem to have a good reputation, have a nice warranty period and are somewhat reasonable priced.

I have no idea how much space you need, what future plans you have (do you need to get a parity raid in the future) and stuff like that, but WD Caviar Blacks have a solid reputation for single disk use or in striped arrays. OTOH in parity arrays they are lousy, so if you may consider a parity array on a dedicated controller, the Blacks are out.

For setting up your disks, have a look at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972

• 5. Re: New PC Build Comments and Suggestions please :)
                  Jim_Simon Level 9

(7200.11 series that were notoriously bad and had a failure rate of more than 100% after several were replaced under warranty)

And yet, my three are still working perfectly fine after three years of use.

Go figure.

• 6. Re: New PC Build Comments and Suggestions please :)
                    gtjr Level 1

Harm so I got the pc build above. I was surprised it took 23 minutes to encode an hour video with ppro. I guess the bottleneck is the video card?
                    If so I am guessing the Quadro 4000 would blow that number away?If so I may take that video card back and save up for the quadro 4000

Thoughts?

Thanks

• 7. Re: New PC Build Comments and Suggestions please :)
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

The Quadro 4000 is far slower than the GTX 660 you have. The 660 is the perfect card for your system in your budget range. The Quadro will only slow the system down, but keep in mind that encoding - you did not mention from what format / codec to what format / codec - is usually very CPU intensive. For instance AVCHD material encoding to H.264 is mostly CPU dependent and then the bottleneck is the number of cores and clock speed, not the GPU.

• 8. Re: New PC Build Comments and Suggestions please :)
                        RjL190365 Level 4

In your case, as far as the CPU is concerned, the 3770K at $230 is a much better value than the 3770 at $260, not only because the 3770K is unlocked (and thus more overclockable than the limited-unlocked 3770), but also because the 3770K's stock clock speed is higher than the 3770 (3.5GHz versus 3.4GHz). (And keep in mind that those are the in-store prices at brick-and-mortar Micro Center stores, which heavily discount unlocked CPUs but charge near full price for most partially locked CPUs.) Thus, at that reseller, the unlocked CPU is actually cheaper than the partially-locked edition of the same CPU.

As for the Quadro 4000, it is not worth anywhere close to its $750-ish street price, as far as performance in Premiere Pro is concerned. In fact, it is only about as fast as a GTX 650 Ti (non-Boost edition), which in turn is significantly slower than your current GTX 660: The Quadro 4000 has only 256 CUDA cores (versus 960 CUDA cores in your GTX 660) and a memory bandwidth of only 89.6 GB/s (versus 144.2 GB/s in the GTX 660). For comparison, the GTX 650 Ti (non-Boost edition) has a memory bandwidth of 86.4 GB/s.

• 9. Re: New PC Build Comments and Suggestions please :)
                          gtjr Level 1

I was encoding from a ts file to an mp4.  RjL I did indeed purchase the computer speced above.  I am impressed with it, it works well, I just thought it would encode faster.
                          Is there no way to improve the speed of the encoding process? I can live with 23 minutes if that is what is has to be all things considered.
                          Maybe adding another SSD or something? Just thinking out loud....

• 10. Re: New PC Build Comments and Suggestions please :)
                            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

The only way to speed up your current setup would probably be to overclock the CPU.

• 11. Re: New PC Build Comments and Suggestions please :)
                              RjL190365 Level 4

The only way to improve the performance, as Bill has stated, would be to overclock that i7-3770K. And because you picked a higher-end Gigabyte motherboard, you might be able to get that CPU up to around 4.5GHz with that Hyper 212 EVO cooler. (To give you an idea, I recently upgraded my auxiliary editing rig from an i5-2400 to an i7-3770K while keeping that system's same Gigabyte lower-end GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 microATX motherboard and Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU cooler, and I ended up overclocking that CPU to 4.3GHz although I had to drop the memory speed from DDR3-1600 to DDR3-1333 - with four 4GB sticks, no less - in order to run stably at this CPU speed.)

• 12. Re: New PC Build Comments and Suggestions please :)
                                gtjr Level 1

Thanks for all the feedback. I won't be able to get around to trying any of this for a few weeks.
                                I will do that for sure. Trying to get my house sold right now, so no time for fun and games