7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2013 8:24 PM by John T Smith

Custom PC hardware questions

lucky856

So I am abandoning FCP in favor of an all Adobe workflow.  I did a little research and listed the specs and hardware below, I would appreaciate any and all opinions and comments.

CPU -

Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor

Motherboard -

ASUS P9X79 DELUXE LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard  

RAM -

Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (8 x 8 GB) DDR3 1866 MHz (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory CMZ64GX3M8A1866C9

2x Blu-Ray/DVD Burners -

LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner, Bare Drive, 3D Play Back (WH14NS40)

Power Supply -

Cooler Master Silent Pro M - 1000W 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply with Modular Cables (RSA00-AMBAJ3-US)

HDs

Boot from a 256 SSD, scratch on 2TB striped RAID, another 2 TB drive just sitting around as well.

Video Card -

PNY VCGGTX670XPB GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card   

And as an aside, I do commercials, nonprofit documentaries (which are basically commercials again), and a collection of edit projects.  We handle mostly DSLR footage and xdCam video, though at times we get RED footage in (I am saving a PCI slot for rental RED Rockets for those projects.)  So is there anything else I need besides the case and cooling systems?  Thanks again and let me know any other questions I may have forgotten.

- John

• 1. Re: Custom PC hardware questions
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

While building your own PC can be fun, less expensive, and potentially faster than a factory built machine you're facing the challenge of matching all of your hardware, drivers, and systems from a nearly limitless combination of components. This can be good, but it can be an awfully painful and time consuming process. If you are charging for your services and reliability and support are a concern I'd probably go with a manufactured box with about these same specifications from a company that gives you great 24 - 7 customer support. Missing the deadline and possibly not getting paid for job is way more expensive than the extra cost of a fully supported system.

If, on the other hand, you are willing to take the risk it sounds like you have done quite a bit of research. I'm not going to take the time to check your components against Adobe's recommended hardware. You seem to be doing that already. I don't know if I'd spring for SSD drives as a boot drive. There have been reports of sudden complete failures and a good 2 or 3 drive standard array is going to give you about the same speed, redundancy, and clicking noises before any of the drives fail. SSD is probably good for cache.

The only thing I see lacking is a good system to store your source footage. Source footage should not be on your boot drive and should not be on a cache partition unless you're limited on space or capability. Any job I get of any size I buy new hard drives for. When the job is done, the drives go in a safe. Every couple of years I make sure the data is still there and transfer it all to another drive. I would set up a hot swappable external drive system for media storage.

Good luck. Think carefully about how the lack of excellent customer service and support may effect your business.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Custom PC hardware questions
            lucky856 Level 1

Thanks for the input.  I actually worked for a 3rd party Apple supplier setting up edit bays, SAN networks, and doing a variety of video jobs with FCP and Mac computers.  I am a bit of a tehnophile so I actually prefer the time investment into the custom machine.  The specs I had are way overboard but I hate having to transfer over so I want this machine to be set for the next few years.  I have a multitude of Hard drives and external projects that need to be switched to Fat32 so that is all set up.

I would rethink the SSD though.  Using that as purely your boot and application drive not only makes things faster, it's a great organization tool as well.

• 3. Re: Custom PC hardware questions
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

See this page for information about hardware for Premiere Pro and After Effects: http://adobe.ly/pRYOuk

• 4. Re: Custom PC hardware questions
                JEShort01 Level 4

John,

You have obviously been thinking and reading a lot to have a build list that seems both strong and balanced.

Several comments...

- Definitely go with a SSD boot drive and consider scaling back to a 128GB; also get rid of Win7 hibernation which would otherwise take a 64GB chunk of space from your boot drive (size = RAM size)

- Get a good cooler and overclock to at least 3.8, 4.2 if you get slightly involved in the OC process, and 4.4 or so if you are really into the technical ride that is overclocking

- RED 4k is really taxing; this system is indeed not overkill if you ever plan to edit that or more

Regards,

Jim

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Custom PC hardware questions
                  lucky856 Level 1

Thanks for the points Jim!  Have you tried renting a RED Rocket and throwing that in your machine temporarily?  We require that for some jobs now if time is of a real issue.  But yeah, that's why I went as high as I could.  And imagine, 4K footage is starting to seem small now when you look at what some of the EPIC systems can do.  What are we going to be shooting in 3 years?

Why should I scale back with the SSD?  I am going to be running Windows 8, as the OS really isn't a big deal to me so I might as well get the best possible.

I never really overclocked stuff before, but the case I have will be capable of it at some point.  I think I might leave it normal and test that out, and only reserve it when the needs arises.

The big question I now have is in comparing workstation video cards with gaming video cards.  I understand that the workstation cards are better suited for the longer workload, but if I just buy a gaming card temporarily and save up for an upper card will that matter?  I know that video and AE are not that taxing on video cards, but I find myself running a bit of 3D through Blender every now and then so it would always be a bit of help.

Again thanks for your advice!

- John

• 6. Re: Custom PC hardware questions
                    JEShort01 Level 4

John,

You're most welcome!

I don't shoot or edit RED currently, I've only played with some clips on a timeline, including up to 4 layers. RED is so gorgeous! RED also brings my pretty fast edit rig to its knees.

Regarding the RED Rocket, my understanding is that it only helps with debayering for playback and a separate RED Rocket is required for each layer. So, I would think that investments in CPU(s) would be wiser for all aspects of the editing process and also for long term compatibility.

With my older gen 6-core (overclocked i7-970) and CS5 single layer 1/2 res. RED 4.5k played back and scrubbed seamlessly. When testing with 4 layers, I pretty much had to render the timeline before I could do anything, but after that had completed full res. playback and scrubbing worked fine and cpu utilization during playback was only 20%.

Regards,

Jim

• 7. Re: Custom PC hardware questions
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>anything else I need besides the case and cooling systems?

This case has a high user rating http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225