Windows 8 professional 64bit

LGA2011 i7 3820

32GB RAM Quad Channel

NVidia GTX560TI

Several HDD's, scratch disk is a 2 disk stripe set

Master Suite CS6 and LR 4.3

All Adobe software is up to date

Running latest NVidia drivers

Up until recently Photoshop has been running OK.  Over the past week or so, when I have a file open, size and number of layers don't seem to make a difference, the performance gradually decreases to the point where using the pen tool to create 2 anchor point can take anywhere up to 20 seconds; this is just an example, this kind of slow down or lag happens with all tools. Shutting down Photoshop and restarting works, but after a few minutes it starts to slow down again.  Time taken to save files also increases once the slowdown starts

Actions taken so far...

I have reset all tool pre-sets

Deleted all Photoshop settings files

Purged history etc.

Confirmed all drivers and software up to date

Replicated the problem on small and large files with from 2 - 30 layers

Replicated the problem on existing PSD and PSB files as well as with new raw files.

Tried loading images from Lightroom and from directly within Photoshop

Changed performance settings (history & cache, gpu, memory etc.) and tried multiple configurations including enabling/disabling "Use Graphics Processor"

I can't think of anything else to try.  As mentioned, this is a fairly new problem that started about a week and half ago and is gradually getting worse.  I'm at the point now where I have to shut down Photoshop and restart it every 5 minutes.  I am a photographer, and when you have to do this for dozens of images, it becomes an untenable process.

Can anyone suggest some new tests or remedies?