9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2013 6:08 AM by MW Design

InDesign printing a booklet

Jalineg Level 1

How do I print a 6 x 8 inch booklet (32 pages ) on 8.5 x 11 paper?  The back and front text are not aligned.  They are off slightly.

• 1. Re: InDesign printing a booklet
          MW Design Level 4

Off slightly may well be due to the printer itself. Back to back alignment is usually just due to how the paper loads from the pick up and feed rollers in non-commercial equipment.

Take care, Mike

• 2. Re: InDesign printing a booklet
            Jalineg Level 1

Thanks, Mike. I gave the wrong impression in my first post.  The text is more than slightly off, it's about 1/2 inch off--totally wrong for printing a booklet.  I think it has something to do with the size of the paper, the size of the booklet, and maybe the printer's preset margins?  Even if I direct the print settings to "centered" the text is not aligned back to front. This is driving me crazy--I must be missing some setting because I can't imagine I'm supposed to adjust every page's text to align.  Help!

Jali

• 3. Re: InDesign printing a booklet
              MW Design Level 4

Jali--if it is due to your printer's margin settings, and it could well be, then because the way edges flip a bottom's margin becomes the top, etc.

Can you export to a PDF and see this offset? If not, try printing from Acrobat. If you then get the offset, it might truly be the printer's margins. Also, you can try changing the flip on the short side versus the long side or vice versa.

Take care, Mike

• 4. Re: InDesign printing a booklet
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Is this an inkjet printer? Used to be, and maybe still is, that inkjet pages had wildly different head and foot margins...

• 5. Re: InDesign printing a booklet
                  Jalineg Level 1

Thanks, Mike. I tried exporting to postscript and then pdf.  Alignment nearly perfect!  BUT, the text on opposite sides is upside down! 

Here's what I am doing:

1. Indesign file 8 x 6 in pages (each large page broken into two 4 x 6 pages as booklet)

2. I go to Print Booklet and in setup window I have 2-up saddle stitch with 0.0625 creep and margins set to Automatic fit.

3. I go to Print settings and in that window, setup has landscape orientation, page position-centered, and set printer for postscript file. Under ppd I select my printer (yes, Peter, it is an inkjet HP 6500 E709).

4.I press OK, then the window changes to originl print window and I press "print" and it saves as a ps file.

5. Now I go to that saved ps file and click "print"

6. In that print window I do two things: 1. I select  2-sided short-edge binding.  2. I just select two-sided printing no binding designation.

7. in the first print, I get correct text orientation, but it is not aligned back to front.

8. in the second print I get near perfect alignement but the text is unsipde down on back to front.

whew.. I think Ive made this way too complicated... and for nothing--I can't get it right!

• 6. Re: InDesign printing a booklet
                    Jalineg Level 1

Hi Peter, yes, inkjet HP6500.

• 7. Re: InDesign printing a booklet
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If you have extra paper to trim from the booklet after folding, I'd suggest rotating the odd or even pages 180 degrees before printing, then use the page flip that currently gives you good alignment, but one side upside down.

• 8. Re: InDesign printing a booklet
                        Jalineg Level 1

I think this will work!!! I have many adjustments to make on each page, but my test pages are finally aligned and oriented correctly.  I ended up saving to a ps file and printing as a pdf with no short-or long-edge binding selected.  Whew..

Thank you!

• 9. Re: InDesign printing a booklet
                          MW Design Level 4

Actually, what I meant was to Export the PDF in reader order--pages 1-x. Then, in Acrobat, choose the Booklet option. It does a good job. Then, print to the Acrobat printer.

If you printer is set up to portrait pages by default, the PDF will be 180 degree rotated. Then, with this PDF, print from Acrobat and use the Flip on Short edge. Why? Because with all the HP inkjets I have used, the feed offset is minimal using the flip on short edge.

Try it. Nothing to loose and minimal work (pushing buttons is all).

Take care, Mike