6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2013 11:24 AM by Peter Spier

Fit Object to Frame

ellacjn

Is there anyway to set the fit object to frame option to always have be "none"
      I use the same page layout week after week and just remove all the content leaving the text and object frames to be filled with new content. Sometimes I use the "Fit Object to Frame" option.

When the following week comes along and I delete all the content to start over, I do not want that frame to "hold" the "Fit object to frame option" as that was meant for that object only, not the new one I'm placing. Is there anyway to set the default of the frame to always revert to None once an object has been removed?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Fit Object to Frame
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

In the long run you'd be better off creating a blank template and using that instead of "recycling" the same file over and over. Stable as it is, ID is not perfect and recycled files tend to build up little corruptions until one day they overwhelm the file and disadster strikes at deadline.

• 2. Re: Fit Object to Frame
            ellacjn Level 1

Thanks for your reply Peter. In a perfect world that would be great, but I work at a newspaper and we do a couple of hundered pages every week. There is no time to remake all the pages from scratch. I didn't have this problem in CS3. We jumped from CS3 to CS6 and somewhere along the way something changed and I would love to figure out how to change that setting.

• 3. Re: Fit Object to Frame

I used to work in a newspaper, too, and a properly built template is every bit as fast as deleting content and making mistakes, and a whole lot faster than a meltdown when the press is supposed to be running.

I know I probably won't convince you of this, but don't don't try to say you weren't warned the day the file either fails to open or fails to output and you wind up rebuilding the whole thing from scratch.

• 4. Re: Fit Object to Frame
                peter minneapolis Level 4

I may be overlooking something here, but Peter S's suggesion of using a blank template doesn't mean a completely empty file. Saving an InDesign document as a template gives it the INDT extension. Opening an INDT document creates a new untitled document. The template document can have as much or as little stuff in it as you want - headers, footers, cross-reference formats, conditions, styles of all kinds, master page stuff, etc. Reusing a template really eans using it only once to make the untitled copy, so junk doesn't build up in it by save after save. And, if a template has junk n it, as with any ID file, saving it as IDML opening it as a normal ID document, and saving that over the junk-filled one is an effective cleanup.

Starting from a good base template avoids the steps of deleting old content, and the possibility of leaving unwanted content in place.

If he documents originated in CS3, there's a chance that really old stuff is hanging around. You can see the active document's creation and modification history, and a lot more, with Cmd/Ctrl pressed while choosing About InDesign from the InDesign menu.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

ellacjn wrote:

Thanks for your reply Peter. In a perfect world that would be great, but I work at a newspaper and we do a couple of hundered pages every week. There is no time to remake all the pages from scratch. I didn't have this problem in CS3. We jumped from CS3 to CS6 and somewhere along the way something changed and I would love to figure out how to change that setting.

• 5. Re: Fit Object to Frame
                  ellacjn Level 1

Thanks for all your advice. It is sound, but for us it would be difficult to implement right now which is why I was looking for a quick fix. After much searching I did find a thread that gave me the answer and I am posting here to share with others.

Under preferences, file handling, deselect last box "Preserve Image Dimensions When Relinking". It works!

• 6. Re: Fit Object to Frame

That doesn't really do what you want. Instead of preserving an absolute dimension your repalced imnages will now have the same scale percentage as the ones they replace.