6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2013 5:51 PM by riveraj14

Switching camera's and Special effect

riveraj14

Hello, I have 2 questions. The first one is trying to use multiple camera's in one composite. I don't know if it is possible. My goal is to try and switch on and off from 1 camera to the other, I want to get different camera angles. I've heard of "point in" and "point out" on a google search, but I didn't really know what they meant by that.

The second question, I saw an effect on TV. The effect was showing the point of view of someone's eyes just opening. It was as if you were to close your eyes, and than open and blink a couple of times slowly. Like you were getting surgery and you were to open your eyes and look up for the first time. They showed the persons eyelids opening and closing from the inside of the person. It was a really cool effect that I want to use in my school project, but I dont know if it was using After Effects.

Any help?

Thank you.

Jonathan

• 1. Re: Switching camera's and Special effect
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

I've heard of "point in" and "point out" on a google search, but I didn't really know what they meant by that.

Those would be the most basic of video editing terms.  They indicate where you want your shot to begin, and where you want it to end. It sounds like you could use some help here.

They showed the persons eyelids opening and closing from the inside of the person. It was a really cool effect that I want to use in my school project, but I dont know if it was using After Effects.

Yes, it's possible, but probably not in time for your project deadline, little buckaroo! 

Here's how to get started with After Effects

A hint: with this software, you have to learn how to walk before you run.  You have to know your basics, or you're hosed.  No fooling.

• 2. Re: Switching camera's and Special effect
            riveraj14 Level 1

Lol this is not my first time using after effects. I've produced a film using after effects already I just wanted to know how to make that effect. I have also mastered Photoshop in my previous college class so I do know a lot more about after effects. I have time for my project I just want to know how its done. Is there a tutorial on it?

I also want to know if theres a way to change camera's in one composite.

• 3. Re: Switching camera's and Special effect
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Yes, AE uses the in- and out-points of camera layers to determine the "active camera". If multiple cameras overlap, the topmost will determine the view. The blinking can easily be imitaded with a wipe like CC Jaws or a bit of animated masking combined with some blur.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Switching camera's and Special effect
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

Sure.  Shoot POV camera.  Then you have two options: the "two-eyes" look of intersecting circles -- use masks on a precomp -- or the more current single-view.  Animate a black solid's position up, and the eyes open.  Darned easy.

• 5. Re: Switching camera's and Special effect
                  Matt Dubuque Level 1

Hi Jonathan,

When I'm searching on the web for tips on how to fix something real quick in After Effects, after I achieve my search results, I ALWAYS immediately switch to "Display Videos Only" and that way I can learn faster.

enjoy your camera work and if you are an ace in Photoshop, check out how much you can do with those same darn blending modes (overlay, screen, color burn, you know) in After Effects!

For some reason these are NOT listed under effects but they are kind of tucked away under Layer/Layer Styles, but once you follow that path you can apply a HUGE amount of your Photoshop knowledge to After Effects in a way that will blow the mind of that pretty girl sitting in the corner, all alone and ya' kinda wonder what she's thinkin'.....

Good luck and keep learning Photoshop as well; it will help you in After Effects!

matt dubuque, 100 Trees

• 6. Re: Switching camera's and Special effect
                    riveraj14 Level 1

Where do I go to use the in and out points of the camera layers to determine the active camera? I know that the topmost layer is the one that is shown but I want to switch on and off while still having multiple cameras in 1 comp.

To Mylenium and Dave I will try to do the effect by doing what you have said and will show you how it came out.

And yes Matt I've noticed that the blending modes are exactly the same as the blending modes in Photoshop which helps me a lot! However, there is still a lot to learn.

I am taking Digital Media Arts in my college so I am learning everything from Photoshop to Maya to After Effects! I am trying to master all of them so I can improve my portfolio and try to get into NJIT.