11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2013 3:24 AM by Manniac

Blending Modes ("vivid light") in After Effects?

Manniac Level 1

I discovered that in After Effects CS6 (Win7) some blending modes seem to not work as expected.

I have a bitmap with transparencies above another bitmap and want to blend it with "vivid light" - but the result is the same as if i had no blending mode selected at all. The same is for "hard light", "linear light" or "hard mix".

Other blending modes like "multiply", "soft light" and "overlay" work just fine.

Does anyone have an idea what is wrong with my After Effects?

• 1. Re: Blending Modes ("vivid light") in After Effects?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Your graphics hardware does not support the necessary shader operations. Set your comp to "Final Quality" to enforce software rendering. Beyond that. layer styles and otehr stuff can affect rendering order and make it appear as if things don't work properly...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Blending Modes ("vivid light") in After Effects?
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

We need to know a lot more to isolate the issue and try to reproduce it. Please provide answers to the questions listed here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/961743

Note the request for screenshots in the list of questions linked to.

• 3. Re: Blending Modes ("vivid light") in After Effects?
              Matt Dubuque Level 1

Remember Manniac, screen shots help us help you FASTER!

And cause less stress all around, because it is easier to fix your problem, you get answers more quickly and with the time you save you can down a Red Bull or two.

At least that's what some of my friends do!

Remember.  Screen shots!

enjoy!  AE is a lot of fun.

matt dubuque, 100 trees

• 4. Re: Blending Modes ("vivid light") in After Effects?
                Manniac Level 1

I'm sorry for not being as specific as requested in the faq. I thought it might be more helpful to reduce the problem description to the most relevant facts first, and see if it can be solved in a simple way.

My former experiences with providing all existing information in the first post is usually met with no answers at all, because people think: WOAH! Too much information. ;-)

Okay, I designed my video design in Photoshop CS6 first. This is how the design was supposed to look like - as it was composed in Photoshop.

There are two layers:

1. a pattern of semi-transparent patches on top and

2. a blue gradient background

the pattern (1) is composited with blending mode "vivid light" on the background (2).

issue2.png

After I exported both layers as pngs (24bit alpha) and imported them in After Effects and used the same settings as in photoshop, I got the following:

issue.png

As you can see, I used "vivid light" as blending mode, but it looks exactly as if blending mode "normal" was used.

The render quality is set to final quality.

The same happens with blending modes "hard light", "linear light" or "hard mix" (i guess, you don't need screenshots, because they all look the same)

But other blending modes like "multiply", "soft light" and "overlay" work fine (in this case I used "overlay"):

issue3.png

So, the problem is: Why do some blending modes not work, while others work?

BTW: I also tried to import the PSD directly into After Effects with all layers retained, in case something was wrong with the pngs, that I exported - but the imported PSD produced exactly the same error. So, no difference there.

Now for all the questions from the faq.  - i think most of them will not help to identify the issue, but i will try and answer all of them:

• What version of After Effects? Include the minor version number (e.g., After Effects CS5.5 with the 10.5.1 update).

CS6 (11.0.2)

yes, I have

• What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac".

Windows 7, 64bit latest version, all updates installed

• What kind(s) of source footage? When telling about your source footage, tell us about the codecs, not just the container types. For example, "H.264 in a .mov container", not just "QuickTime".

any footage. it's regardless of what footage I use. in this special case it was 2 pngs (24bit alpha) - see above.

• If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

there is no error message

• What were you doing when the problem occurred?

see above

• Has this ever worked before? If this worked before by doesn't work now, what has changed on your computer in the intervening time?

it's the first time I tried

• What other software are you running?

mainly software like Google Chrome or Microsoft Office - I'm not sure they have anything to do with the problem

• Do you have any third-party effects or codecs installed?

I have Magic bullet looks installed, but since I don't use it in this project, I don't think it's got anything to do with the problem

• Tell us about your computer hardware. Include CPU type and number of processor cores, amount of RAM installed, GPU, number of disk drives, and how any external drives are connected.

Intel something, 6 cores, 12GB RAM, and NVIDIA GTX 590 graphics card, (driver 306.97)

• Do you have any third-party I/O hardware (e.g., AJA, Matrox, Blackmagic, MOTU)?

no

I don't know.. I thought OpenGL in CS6 is all automatically and can not be turned off or on?

but i switched quality to "final render".

• Does the problem only happen with your final output, RAM preview, or both?

everywhere

yes. but if I turn it off, nothings changes

• What is the exact sequence of steps that you are taking?

see above

hope this helps

• 5. Re: Blending Modes ("vivid light") in After Effects?
                  Matt Dubuque Level 1

Thanks Manniac,

Your pictures were indeed helpful.

Blending modes fall within various groups which are separated by horizontal lines in the attached screenshot, which like most screenshots, are worth hundreds, if not thousands, of words.

For example the group of blending modes starting with "darken" and ending with "darker color" tend to darken the results in After Effects and Photoshop both.

Similarly, the blending modes which begin with "add" and end with "lighter color" all tend to lighten the results in both AE and PS.

HOWEVER, the blending modes in PS and AE are NOT identical in what they do for the "overlay" set of blend modes.  From the AE timeline, these produce the best results when you have one layer which is full color and the other is grey scale.  Note that the image upon which you work consists of two full color layers and no greyscale layer is included so the results are likely to be mediocre at best.

Additionally, note that all the blend modes that produce unsatisfactory results for you fall within this particular group of blend modes.

If you want the all the blend modes in AE to behave exactly as they do in Photoshop, you need to use the blend modes found in Layer/Blending Mode, rather than using the ones on the timeline.

Weird, but true.

Matt

Screen shot 2013-03-09 at 8.16.38 PM.png

• 6. Re: Blending Modes ("vivid light") in After Effects?
                    Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                    HOWEVER, the blending modes in PS and AE are NOT identical in what they do for the "overlay" set of blend modes...

If you want the all the blend modes in AE to behave exactly as they do in Photoshop, you need to use the blend modes found in Layer/Blending Mode, rather than using the ones on the timeline.

Weird, but true.

Weird and, generally speaking, not true. See Blending modes and layer styles help section.

If your colour management settings are consistent throughout Adobe Suite, you get consistent identical result in both Ps and AE.

If you get different results by setting Blending Modes via Mode column in the Timeline vs Layer -> Blending Mode menu, file a bug report.

• 7. Re: Blending Modes ("vivid light") in After Effects?
                      Matt Dubuque Level 1

Thanks Fuzzy,

My position is that it was either in a recent tutorial of Mark Christiansen or Chris Meyer's (the only two AE experts whose work I am studying) that the blend modes reached through the layer/blending mode path were in some important respects different than those accessed through other means and that those layer/blending mode path blending modes were what you should use if you were seeking to replicate in AE what you obtained in PS.

Matt Dubuque

• 8. Re: Blending Modes ("vivid light") in After Effects?
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Regarding whether the blending modes are different between After Effects and Photoshop:

After Effects includes the Photoshop rendering engine embedded within it, so things such as blending modes work identically between the two applications.

Regarding the failure of certain blending modes working as expected for Manniac:

If you upload the project file somewhere where I can grab it, I'll have a look and see if there's something specific to it.

I'm using these blending modes fine on a system that matches yours, and I've not seen other reports like this, so this must be something rather specific.

• 9. Re: Blending Modes ("vivid light") in After Effects?
                          Manniac Level 1

I just found out, what was the problem:

Photoshop has 2 ways to control transparency of layers:

1. opacity

2. fill

I used a opacity of 20% and fill of 55% and blending mode "vivid light". I used both options on purpose, to mix the behaviour of both controls in regards to the blending mode.

When importing this to After Effects the fill value was dropped (or set to 100%), which resulted in the different look you can see on my screenshots.

So basically this means: After Effects blending modes are OK - only the fill-option for layers doesn't exist (or I haven't found it yet).

Thanks to all who helped finding the solution!

• 10. Re: Blending Modes ("vivid light") in After Effects?
                            Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

If you imported PSD file with blending modes set that way instead of PNG ones, AE should have created Layer Styles property group. Drilling down this property group reveals Fill Opacity property under Blending Options -> Advanced Blending:

AE-PS. Blending Modes Transferring.jpg

So as to fix your design created out of PNG files, you have to export the layer with 100% Fill first, then add any Layer Style from Layer -> Layer Styles menu (or right-click -> Layer Styles) - that creates the Layer Style group property for the layer. After that you're free to manually delete it or just disable eyeball and enjoy working with Blending Options property group only.

• 11. Re: Blending Modes ("vivid light") in After Effects?
                              Manniac Level 1

Ah, thanks! Now I understand.

Unfortunately, when I import my psd directly in to AE, the fill option is being dropped, because I used the blending mode on layer groups, not on the layer itself.

AE imports the layer groups correctly as compositions, but there is no Advanced Blending option for compositions, as it seems.

But no worries, I could fix the design by using the blending mode on layers instead.