4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2013 8:16 PM by Arrakis

blending mode and choke issues

Arrakis Level 1

Im doing a very simple tutorial and I have encountered a few problems which I have been unaware of before.  
      Here is the link to the tut - http://ae.tutsplus.com/tutorials/motion-graphics/use-a-jello-jiggly-expression-quick-tip/

In the beginning he duplicates the text and changes the blending mode of the top layer to multiply.   First problem I encountered is my text barely changes colour/appearance in any way when doing this.

Next he applies a Matte>simple choker and cranks it to 40.   Second problem when I do this I see no choke because the multiply hasnt made enough diffeence to notice.  Also I soloed the duplicate layer and cranked the choker up but I cant take it any higher than about 8 or it just starts disappearing.

I tried the same thing with a shape and that seemed to be even more problematic. I used a rectangle and duplicated it. When i choked it the duplicate gets round corners and stretches horizontally.  WHats going on here?

Am I doing something wrong here?  I am following the video instructions precisely.   Thank you.

Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 4.54.00 PM.png

• 1. Re: blending mode and choke issues
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Blending mode results depend on the color. Multiplying red over black will never yield a particulalrly noticeable difference, it will merely make the red darker and darker the more you reduce opacity. The rest sounds inconclusive. Effects don't just not work, but without some screenshots nobody can tell. This could just as well be hardware acceleration issues with OpenGL, some layerr style you have applied or whatever. There's just too many variables.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: blending mode and choke issues
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Matte Choker will make rounded corners because that's exactly what it is designed to do. If you applied simple choker to a text layer and a very small value change makes the text disappear then the text isn't thick enough. Try a fatter font. As Mylenium said, blend modes based on the value of pixels depend on the color. The max value of red is the max value of red so if you multiply it by the max value of red you still get the max value of red which equals the max value of red, therefore there is no change.

This won't work:

Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 4.46.55 AM.png

This will but barely:

Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 4.47.53 AM.png

Setting the bottom layer to something lighter with values like this works better because there is some room to do the math and it is in more than one channel:

Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 4.53.02 AM.png

But you can see that there's very little edge available and the matte choker is rounding the corners. It does this because all matte chokers work by blurring the edge of the alpha and then adjusting the level or the curve of the blur. You can build your own matte choker simply by applying blur to a layer, adjusting the alpha levels using that layer as an Alpha track matte for your text. See how I've crushed the alpha levels toward white? That is what makes the matte shrink.

Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 5.08.26 AM.png

I hope this helps you understand the process better.

• 3. Re: blending mode and choke issues
              Arrakis Level 1

Im not multiplying red over black. Thats just how it looked after the simple choke.  It stretched out the sides and looks black buts its actually just the same colour multiplied.

• 4. Re: blending mode and choke issues
                Arrakis Level 1

Yes that helps a lot , thanks.  However I still dont get why my shape is stretching out the sides when I simple choke?