15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2013 9:01 AM by Hans Melodie

CS6, Processor and l3 cache (cMBP)

Hans Melodie

Dear All,
      I plan to buy myself a MacBook Pro and be able to use it to learn and use After Effects, Premiere Pro among other CS6 applications. I know desktop computers at the same price perform much better but I hope this laptop will be workable. The idea is to choose this configuration:

16 GB RAM (1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM) (third party) (to be upgraded later)
      750 GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm (to be combined with/replaced by a SSD later)
      15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display (1680x1050 pixels)

Now to the question. I also have to choose processor and graphics. I have understood it is recommended to have at least 1Gb video memory. Then there are two processors to choose from:

a) 2,6 GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3.6 GHz ), 6Mb l3 cache, (with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB dedicated GDDR5 video memory)
      b) 2,7 GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3.7 GHz ), 8Mb l3 cache, (with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB dedicated GDDR5 video memory)

It seems like 2,7 GHz instead of 2,6 will not make a big difference (I might be wrong?). But how about the l3 cache? I guess l3 cache supports multitasking and multithreaded applications like AE. I wonder what difference 8Mb instead of 6Mb l3 cache will make, and what difference it will make in the future (since the l3 cache isn't upgradable). In my country I have to pay 295 USD extra to get the latter option (b). Any ideas or opinions? Anything else to be taken into account? I welcome any advice.

Many thanks in advance!

Kindest regards
      Hans

Message was edited by: Hans Melodie