10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2013 12:21 AM by shooternz

Move clip on timeline with keyboard

derekens Level 1

Hi all,

Is there a way to move a clip, either the in our the outpoint to where the playhead is located on the timeline use a single keyboard shortcut?

I essentially want to be able to select a clip, move the playhead to where I want the clip to be, and press a keyboard shortcut to move the clip there

I cannot figure out a way to do this.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Move clip on timeline with keyboard
          Taverino Level 2

If you double click the selected track to place it in the source monitor, the comma key (insert) or the semicolon (overwite) will place the clip using the in/out points onto the targeted track at the playhead. Not sure if this is what you want.

• 2. Re: Move clip on timeline with keyboard
            derekens Level 1

Not really,

I litereally want to just be able to click on a clip thats already on the timeline, move my playhead to another spot on the timeline and press a key and have the clip move there.  I don't want to have to use the mouse to drag it there, and I'm not trying to move it a certain amount of time or frames forward.  I just want to be able to move it to the playhead.

• 3. Re: Move clip on timeline with keyboard
              Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could cut and Paste

• 4. Re: Move clip on timeline with keyboard
                Jim_Simon Level 8

In CS6, the shortcut is the 'e' key.  (Extend edit to playhead.)

• 5. Re: Move clip on timeline with keyboard
                  shooternz Level 6

In CS6, the shortcut is the 'e' key.  (Extend edit to playhead.)

That does not move the clip to the playhead position...just the edit point extends to it.

Since the edit mode change in CS6...this has becomer my most common way to trim clips within the sequence.

For the O.P..what Richard Knight suggested is a good wotk around.  Cut and Paste. 

Select clip> Ctrl-X > Set Playhead > Crl-V

(It will never be a simple single keyboard shortcut due to track targeting in PPRo and there is now way to select a clip using a KB shortcut. Mouse only)

Possibly the best way though is.

Position your Play head>Select Clip in Sequence with CTRL(insert) or  Alt-(Overlay) Held.  Drag to Program Monitor.

You have to select the clip via mouse and you have to position the playhead anyway...so this is pretty simple.

• 6. Re: Move clip on timeline with keyboard
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

That does not move the clip to the playhead position...just the edit point extends to it.

Yup, I read the question wrong.

You have to select the clip via mouse

In that case, it's probably easier to just drag the clips where he wants them.

• 7. Re: Move clip on timeline with keyboard
                      derekens Level 1

Darn that's too bad...it seems to me like that is one of the most basic non linear editing functions and it's weird that there is no one key that can do it.

Also a little frustated I can't select a clip with the keyboard like you said.

I am used to editing with mainly the keyboard and only using the mouse sparingly.  Trimming is also a but of a pain having to select the edit point and then placing the play head where you want the in or out and using another key to trim.  

I guess it is just going to have to take some getting used to.  I've edited occasionally with Premiere ever since version 6.0 back in 2002, however at work we use an editing program called Incite which I believe has the best keyboard shortcuts.  So quick to edit in but its quite old an program and we are getting rid of it shortly.

Thanks for your help guys.

• 8. Re: Move clip on timeline with keyboard
                        shooternz Level 6

Trimming is also a but of a pain having to select the edit point and then placing the play head where you want the in or out and using another key to trim.

Not sure how one trims without selecting an edit point...but whatever...you can select that edit point with a shortcut, change the edit mode with a short cut and then make the edit with a short cut.

Cant think of any shortcut for Intelligent Playhead Point Selection. ( editors may have to do that for themselves)

• 9. Re: Move clip on timeline with keyboard
                          derekens Level 1

What I am use to is selecting a clip on the timeline, moving the playhead to where I want it and using Q to extend or shorten the in point and W to extend or shorten the out point.  I don't need to actually select the in or the out point first.  If that NEW in/out point intersects with another clip on the timeline, it will either overwrite, overlap(disolve) or only extend to the edge of the other clip depending on what mode the editor is in.

Again, I realize Premiere is different than what I am used to, and I'm sure I'll get used to it. Was just curious if it was possible to do what I was asking.

Thanks

• 10. Re: Move clip on timeline with keyboard
                            shooternz Level 6

Its true.   They are different and I am sure you will adjust.

I have customised my KB shortcuts to do pretty much what you are wanting to do.

Go thru the KB Customisation List