10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2013 5:44 AM by shoot me now

Scripted actions are glacially slow

shoot me now Level 1

Windows 8, CS5 64 & 32

I'm using Margulis' PPW set which is an extension panel and associated actions. When the actions are invoked by the panel, they run slow enough to time with a calendar, except for the rare occasion when they run as they should -- no pattern established yet (just downloaded PPW this morning). The actions run fine if launched from the actions palette.

It also appears another extension is also running at less than full speed, but it's not nearly as complex so I hadn't really focused on its behavior. So it seems this is not a new thing, but it's now become unbearable using PPW.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Scripted actions are glacially slow
          Michael L Hale Level 5

One thing that can effect playback speed that is also the easiest to check is your playback options in the action panel. Can you post a link to the panel? It's may be possible that I can look at what it is doing to see if there can be any other speed improvements. Often replacing Photoshop Object Model code with Action Manager can make a big difference. Especially if it is working with multiple layers

• 2. Re: Scripted actions are glacially slow
            shoot me now Level 1

I assume you meant post a link to a screen shot of the panel, but this is the relevant info: Playback options, performance is set to accelerated.

I don't know about replacing code. Are you referring to editing the jsx file? This may have an effect, but what about the fact that it will sometimes run normally? I can use the same image and run the same sequence and most of the time it just crawls along... and then, out of nowhere, WHAM, it flies.

Relaunches and reboots don't seem to guarantee a good run, but good runs tend to occur after one of those things has happened. Once it bogs down, that's it.  Anyway, tell me what you want me to provide and I'll get on it.

• 3. Re: Scripted actions are glacially slow
              Michael L Hale Level 5

I meant a link to where I could download the extension panel. But I did a search and found it. I had hope it was released under some kind of public license that would let me modify the code under those terms. However it is not so there is really nothing I can do to the script to speed it up. It looks like you will have to wait for the next version release which the download page said was coming soon and hope that fixes the speed problems.

At a guess I would say the speed problem is occurring with the swf to jsx communication. It is not so much that the script itself is slow to run but more that there is a delay between when you click on a button in the panel and when the script get the command to run from the panel.

• 4. Re: Scripted actions are glacially slow
                shoot me now Level 1

Michael L Hale wrote:

I meant a link to where I could download the extension panel.

Ah, sorry to be so... obtuse.

I'm hopeful that the next version will bring a fix but I'm not betting the farm on it. I think there's something in Win8, or maybe my installation of it, that is causing the issue. Here's why:

I have a second extension from another Margulis assosciate, and probably an associate of those who did the work on PPW. That extension is the Floating Adjustments Panel, available here: http://blog.rbg.bigano.com/2011/05/04/free-cs-extension-1-floating-adjustments/

Under Win7 (same computer before the OS upgrade), when clicking in the panel for a Curves adjustment the response is instant. Under Win8, it's not... except when it is. Meaning that it's a slug most of the time except for brief periods when it runs as it should -- just like PPW.

• 5. Re: Scripted actions are glacially slow
                  DBarranca Level 4

Hi,

I happen to be Floating Adjustment coder - and a dear friend of mine is the developer of Dan's PPW panel so you're in good hands

I'm forwarding your post to her - I knew there have been issues with Win platform - let's see.

For Floating Adjustments it'd be nice to check whether CS6 solves the issue (you can find it via the new Adobe Exchange panel) - I changed a bit the code. Anyway, panel's support is issues-prone depending on versions and platforms (alas).

Kind regards

Davide

• 6. Re: Scripted actions are glacially slow
                    Michael L Hale Level 5

DBarranca wrote:

Anyway, panel's support is issues-prone depending on versions and platforms (alas).

I agree. And there is not much a third-party developer can do to fix those issues as they are with the panel framework itself and not the code written by the developer. I had a smart object layer links panel that I stopped development/support for those same OS/Version issues.

• 7. Re: Scripted actions are glacially slow
                      shoot me now Level 1

DBarranca wrote:

Hi,

I happen to be Floating Adjustment coder - and a dear friend of mine is the developer of Dan's PPW panel so you're in good hands

Well, this is some unexpected good fortune. My odds of success just got better.

It appears the Adobe Exchange panel is for CS6 only, is that correct? Is there any other way to access the new Floating Adjustments version, or are you suggesting that I migrate to Photoshop CS6? Unfortunately I'm pretty much locked into using CS5 for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for your help.

• 8. Re: Scripted actions are glacially slow
                        shoot me now Level 1

I just downloaded v3 of PPW last evening and the sluggishness seems to be mostly gone, at least in the limited testing I gave it last night. On some routines it takes a few seconds before the script starts to step through the associated Action file, but once that happens it moves quickly -- unlike v2 which would plod through the Actions as if it were running on a 10 year old machine.

• 9. Re: Scripted actions are glacially slow
                          DBarranca Level 4

Nice to hear that

Davide

• 10. Re: Scripted actions are glacially slow
                            shoot me now Level 1

Well, having tested a bit more, I still see a lag here and a stutter there but overall speed is definitely  improved over v2.

Interestingly, when the script seems to falter in calling an action, if I just move my mouse's scroll wheel a notch or two this seems to unfreeze the process and the action then zips right along. This trick doesn't work 100% of the time, but it works often enough to be of value. Curious why it works at all...