12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2017 9:34 PM by GeorgeN3835901

Lightroom 4.3 Duplicate folders being created on import

serfgkljkAWEFP[OJKSDFB

Hi, is anyone else gaving issues with duplicate folders being created with Lightroom 4.3 on import?

When I import photos, they go to a folder with a name "XXX" for example.

The folder is in a hierarchy of "2013, March, XXX".

Lightroom creates a folder  here and above 2013! It is making a mess of my library.

Also, when I import using Photo Mechanic (great software that just works!) and then do a "synchronize folder" in Lightroom, only 1 photo is transferred.

Is there a fix for these bugs?

• 1. Re: Lightroom 4.3 Duplicate folders being created on import
          Victoria Bampton LR Queen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not sure that's a bug.  Let's have a look at a screenshot of the Destination panel from the Import dialog, and we'll see if we can spot what's going wrong.  I'm guessing it's just a setting out of place. 

Then we'll come back to your photomechanic issue, if that's ok with you.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 4.3 Duplicate folders being created on import
            Jay Kay Photo

Many thanks for coming back to me Victoria and excuse me for not being prompt in my reply.

The issue is still happening everytime I download a new shoot and I am not sure that it has to do with import settings (Which I have attached below)

Import Settings.PNG

When I import, I import to a folder structure, Year/Month/Event. But what is happening is that my import is appearing at the same level as the year.

Lightroom 4.PNG

When I go to move the file from the incorrect location to the Month folder it tells me  that A folder named XXX already exists at this location and I cannot move the folder.

When I check in explorer, no file exists in the correct location.

Thanks for your help!

Message was edited by: Jay Kay Photo

• 3. Re: Lightroom 4.3 Duplicate folders being created on import
              Jay Kay Photo Level 1

Another behaviour is that when I do a "CTRL E" and edit a photo in Photoshop (from a file in the Year/Month/Event folder in the correct location) when I save it and go back to Lightroom, it is not in the correct folder but it appears on its own in a new folder at the same level as the year.

• 4. Re: Lightroom 4.3 Duplicate folders being created on import
                Jim Wilde Level 5

It looks to me as though you've fallen victim to the "capitalisation" issue....in your Folders Panel your year folders names have the word "LIBRARY" in capitals, yet in the screenshot of the import dialog you are importing to "LR_Library_2013". I guess at some point you changed the capitalisation, and although the OS doesn't distinguish between the two formats, Lightroom unfortunately does.....so although all the images/sub-folders are within the one actual year folder, Lightroom sees them as two different parent folders.

So which one is the correct format as shown in Win Explorer? I'm guessing the lower-case version? If so, the quickest way to fix this is as follows:

1. Backup your catalog.

2. Create a root level folder on the C drive, call it whatever you want, say "Capitals Fix".

3. Right-click on the "LR_LIBRARY_2013" year folder in the Lightroom Folders Panel and select "Update Folder Location". In the file browser that then opens, browse to and select the "Capitals Fix" folder on the C drive.

4. Don't be alarmed as the 2013 folder will disappear from the Folders Panel, "Capitals Fix" will appear but all the sub-folders that were listed under 2013 will now have "?" marks.

5. Now right-click on "Capitals Fix" in the Folders Panel, and again choose "Update Folder Location". This time browse to and select the correct "LR_Library_2013" folder on the A drive. You may get a "Merge" dialog box, select "Merge" and everything should resolve itself.

6. Repeat if needed for the 2011 and 2012 year folders, though as you're likely not importing into there any longer you may not encounter the problem.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 4.3 Duplicate folders being created on import
                  Jay Kay Photo Level 1

Thank you so much Jim and Victoria, the above resolved my issue and my library is nice and tidy once again and my brain can relax!!!

• 6. Re: Lightroom 4.3 Duplicate folders being created on import
                    mightycamels

Hello Jim,

I have the same problem except its my root users/ directory on mac (which cannot be changed) that has the capitalisation problem.

See the attached screen shot.

I would appreciate if you know how I can resolve this issue as most of my pics fall under this folder.

Screen Shot 2013-08-30 at 9.46.02 PM.png

Thanks in advance.

Ted

• 7. Re: Lightroom 4.3 Duplicate folders being created on import
                      1MCGKD

Do you have a similar solution for Mac?

Here's the video of my problem:

• 8. Re: Lightroom 4.3 Duplicate folders being created on import
                        ehch Level 1

Hi, had this problem, too, on a Mac. Here is a write-up about it I posted somewhere else. Hope this helps. E

Problem description:

After importing new fotos Lightroom shows them to be in a new directory tree, with the same name as the as the original intended/target directory tree - except the name of the directory is all in CAPITALS. (Some people report duplicates without capitalisation!).

Inside Lightroom there are now two directories with the same contents. Note that no new directory is actually created, LR just thinks there is one (you can check with "show in Finder"). So, even though it appears there are duplicate directories and files, in reality they are all correctly located in the original directory. LR is simply confused. Happened to me in LR4 and LR5 all versions.

This only happens with some Lightroom catalogs. If you use multiple catalogs, some can be OK, others not.

Temporary quick solution to get rid of capitals and duplicate directories:

In Lightroom:

1. Update capitals folder location to correct lowercase folder (right click on the capitals folder, then choose "update folder location")
                        2. Lightroom will ask if OK to merge the two - say yes.
                        3. Everything now appears to be OK, except that with any new import the capitals folder will reappear.

How to get rid of capitalisation problem for this specific directory/catalog altogether:

In OSX Finder:

1. Create a new folder with a different name (at the same level of the directory hierarchy as the old one).
                        2. Move contents of the old folder to the new folder, delete the old folder.

In Lightroom: 

1. Start Lightroom.
                        2. LR now cannot find the old folder, so reconnect the photo library to the new folder ("update folder location", as above)
                        3. Rename new folder to original name.

From now on when importing no capitals directory will appear. (That is until LR gets confused again - I have not been able to figure out what causes this to happen - must be a bug, though).

• 9. Re: Lightroom 4.3 Duplicate folders being created on import
                          GeorgeN3835901 Level 1

This problem started for me last week after I updated from OS 10.12.5 to 10.12.6

• 10. Re: Lightroom 4.3 Duplicate folders being created on import
                            GeorgeN3835901 Level 1

Correction... The problem started for me after I completely reset my MacBook to factory settings and reloaded all software & content. I had changed my User Account to same words, but capitalized

• 11. Re: Lightroom 4.3 Duplicate folders being created on import
                              Victoria Bampton LR Queen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

GeorgeN3835901  wrote

Correction... The problem started for me after I completely reset my MacBook to factory settings and reloaded all software & content. I had changed my User Account to same words, but capitalized

Yep, the change is capitalization would have done it. Follow JimWilde’s instructions above, or if you can’t figure them out, post a screenshot of your Folders panel so we can make them more specific.

• 12. Re: Lightroom 4.3 Duplicate folders being created on import
                                GeorgeN3835901 Level 1

Well.... Did this fix it? Yes and No....

BTW, the problem was not only impacting how newly imported files were displayed. Any new files created through editing (such as LR pano merge or psd edited file) were then stored in "new" location in the LR folder display

JimWilde's instructions appear to be for a Windows machine. I'm on a MacBook and my problem was similar to mightycamels above, which appears to be unanswered. Not until I changed my LR Root Folder Display to "Path From Volume" did I identify that my problem was that my User directory was different. Last month I reset my Mac back to factory settings and reloaded all software, and changed my user name/directory from "georgenichols" to "GeorgeNichols". Because this was root directory on Mac, I could not follow the instructions of ehch above because I couldn't edit the directory name.  So, I researched and followed Apple's instructions to correct the name for this root directory following this link Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support

After changing back to "georgenichols" and rebooting, I then followed JimWilde's instructions to "update folder location" in LR for each and every LR directory folder created since reloading my system. This seemed to work and put everything back where it belonged in the LR directory - for everything but one folder that was not a sub-directory. The nine images in that directory were still on my camera SD card, so I deleted the images & folder then re-imported them from the SD card...... Bam! same problem showed up. Now the newly imported pictures display in Library module under under user directory "GeorgeNichols" (which no longer exited in Finder) instead of under user directory "georgenichols".

I checked the Import dialogue and the destination user directory shows "georgenichols" (no caps).

I checked in Finder and the user directory also shows "georgenichols" (no caps).

I just checked and it appears that I had to also update - which I now have done: 

* Preferences > General tab Default Catalogue location

* Preferences > Lightroom mobile tab, Location    However, this change in preferences now seems to have created a Sync activity error....

I restarted LR and this did not resolve the "GeorgeNichols" user directory issue. I had to apply the "Update Folder Location" again to these newly-created import folders.....

My next step will be to close LR and reboot my Mac. Obviously that makes me stop this online entry (diatribe?). Will report later after next import attempt.